Maby add XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartech

In Runtime
Hi. My system specs you can see in my signature. Now I'm using Windows 2000. But many my friends, when saw my comp's specs, asked in astonishment why I don't put XP on my comp.

When I installed Windows 2000 I didn't go on XP because I had only 192 mb of memory. And I saw XP on the machine with 192 Mb of RAM and 550 MHz CPU, it was VERY slow, so I just installed windows 2k. At the last time I've made a lots of upgrades to my comp (new video card, new hard drive, more memory, and a little CPU overclock).

So I think, maby it worth to put XP on my computer, but I'm too lasy to start backuping, so ithink maby just add XP as secondry OS.

Tell me what you think about that, and in the end, if it worth to put/add an XP in general.

Thanks. Any opinions will be appreciated.
-AndreiD

Mx-Chris said:
I think "maby" you should stick with Win2k. XP is a resource hog, from what I've seen it uses around 256mb of ram,

Well that's interest..... that's the first posting i've read where someone said XP is a resource hog.

I gotta give props to the MS team cuz I have to grudingly admit that XP runs faster and more stable than W2K. Having said that, I'm not at all sorry that I kept my W2K cuz it offers me everything I need and I"m not a programmer or run any special applicaitons on my PC. I have several video games that I play... surf the net... run MS Office XP applications... do graphics editing... the usual.

If you already have W2K, either stick with it or upgrade to XP. There's really no point in having both, you're just wasting disk space by having a dual-boot w/ those two OSes.

I just wanted to have both OSs to test, on which OS things are working better, to check if XP will slow down games.
Also, I insered XP disk, and on install menu it has only two options:
-"Upgrade current OS to Windows XP"
-"Reinstall OS instead of current, or on separate disk/volume (data may be lost during installation)"

Is there any way to install both without deleting anything?

Originaly posted by Lone Wolf:
.....I have to grudingly admit that XP runs faster and more stable than W2K.....

Are you sure that XP will run FASTER and MORE STABLE on my comp than W2K??? And it will not slow down games, and will respond at least not slower than W2K???

smartech said:
Are you sure that XP will run FASTER and MORE STABLE on my comp than W2K??? And it will not slow down games, and will respond at least not slower than W2K???

First let me just say that I am not a XP user - like i said previously I run W2k at home. The experience i've had with XP has been mostly at work in a corporate environment. So from that standpoint, i cannot answer your question directly about the video games running smoothly or not.

But I will tell you that I've been reading several boards lately, and I don't notice a higher number of XP users complaining about their video games any more than W2K users. If anything, it's gonna offer more compatibility than W2K as it is the first MS OS to merge the Win9.x and NT code base. It features an emulation mode to help you run some older games - something that W2K doesn't have.

Your specs are similar to mine except I have 384 MB of RAM and 32 MB video card. Your PC will have no problems running XP. I had RC2 when it came out a few years ago, and I had it running on my rig w/ no problems.

smartech said:
-"Reinstall OS instead of current, or on separate disk/volume (data may be lost during installation)"

That 2nd option is the one you want. At some point int he install process you should see an option to install it to a separate partition or drive.

Just make sure the two OSes are installed on their own separate partitions (or drives).

Example: If I decided to install secondry OS on drive D:

does it mean that I will need to delete/format all/any data on drive d:?

smartech said:
Example: If I decided to install secondry OS on drive D:

does it mean that I will need to delete/format all/any data on drive d:?

You don't have to. W2K and XP both give you the option to format the drive or partition during hte installation process.

I know this, but that not what I mean, I mean If I MUST FORMAT or loose ANY data stored on this drive during the installation process? because I realy do not want this to happen, otherwise, I will need to backup at least 10 Gb of data, and it is realy annoying.

Thanks for advising :)

You may need Partition Magic if your computer came with all the
hard drive on one partition. It won't take long to get it ready if you want to add Win XP to another partition for testing. Like
the other's have said it depends your requirements for business
or pleasure if Win Xp or Win2k will run slow on your machine.

Try running DVD Shrink and do something and you give up because it sucks up all the CPU cycles but if you Web surf, use MS Word, or other less intense apps you should have no problems with either Win2k or Win XP Home or Pro.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom