M$ XP idioticness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Description of the Point and Print Restrictions policy setting in Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP

This seems to be in effect on a few of our computers.

When trying to add the printer back that I "fixed" earlier, any user who is not a local admin gets an error that reads like:

"A policy is in effect which prevents you from connecting to this print queue. Please contact your system administrator"

To which Google responded with: The Elder Geek on Windows > Network Printers?

Well that's just fine and ******* dandy - but nothing else changed, only that printer is "broken" - and now I'm thinking it could be because of the driver I used.

The printer was all fudged up - or rather the share on the server was. So I wiped it out from the registry up and reinstalled it with a brand new shiny driver from the manufacturer. Apparently this was a bad idea.

The default setting for this idiotic policy blocks anyone from downloading a driver from the print server which is, imo, completely jacked because if you have permission to get to the network resource, why not go ahead and make it default so that you can get the new driver!? That would make sense!

No, now you have to expressly permit access to the driver and separately grant permission to the driver.

*continues grumbling for rest of day*

It started as a question and became a rant!

We have had **** just pile up today - completely unrelated stuff is just breaking.

We wanted to blame it on the 5 "high priority" updates M$ pushed out yesterday but that doesn't explain the broken pipes. It must be the Conficker virus - that or today is god's version of "April Fools" day....

Perhaps a large wave of volatile black matter and a strong EMF passed through your work place?
Just kidding, but it does seem that when tech fails, they like to take friends with them:confused:

Are you sure no random power surges happened and is killing your network lines (fiber, cat5/6, whatever you use)? You sure the servers are healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom