Low virtual memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallstreetjourn2

Solid State Member
I received this "Low virtual memory" prompt with a message that read it was "fixing" the problem, or something to that effect. I'm curious how does it fix the problem, what precisely does it do to free up space? Does it delete important documents I should be aware about?

It just increases the size of the page file, it won't delete any files or anything ;) If there's no space for it to expand the page file, it just won't do it (the page file is a bit like using the hard drive as very slow RAM).
Anyway, you should probably add some RAM if you can. It's not essential, but it sounds like it could speed up your system good.

The page file is space on your hard drive that is used like RAM. How much actual RAM do you have? Like Yamikotai said, it may be worth it to add more.

My RAM I believe is 512, which is why I found it a little odd. But I don't knoow much about computers.

Regardless I appreciate the information. Thank you!

My RAM I believe is 512, which is why I found it a little odd. But I don't knoow much about computers.

Regardless I appreciate the information. Thank you!

Even if you are using Windows XP, if you use any form of graphics or publishing software you will use up a sufficient amount of that RAM. A standard level of RAM these days is at least twice what you have.

I would suggest you get some new RAM from Crucial or New Egg (I am guessing since you have 512 from your OEM) the RAM you are using is DDR2 or DDR which means it is fairly cheap now, with DDR3 now available.

DDR isn't very cheap, House. Have you priced it lately? It's pretty expensive, just because it's older tech.

DDR isn't very cheap, House. Have you priced it lately? It's pretty expensive, just because it's older tech.

Alright alright, my memory didn't serve me as accurately as I would've hoped! Depending on the type hes using he can get a gig for about 40 bucks on newegg, yes yes I know some DDR3 at the same size is cheaper than that, but something tells me he doesn't want to spend several hundred on a replacement system, so I think the difference (between ram prices new vs. old) for his needs is more transparent.

Old technology, who needs it!

Alright alright, my memory didn't serve me as accurately as I would've hoped! Depending on the type hes using he can get a gig for about 40 bucks on newegg, yes yes I know some DDR3 at the same size is cheaper than that, but something tells me he doesn't want to spend several hundred on a replacement system, so I think the difference (between ram prices new vs. old) for his needs is more transparent.

Old technology, who needs it!

Really hope you meant to say ddr2 not ddr3.... I don't know where you get your ram from, but if you can get a gig of ddr3 ram, for $40, please share lol. I know you can get ddr2 ram from 40-80 depending on how much you want and how deep your wallet is. And yes, original DDR is still kind of pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom