low cost internet filtering software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its understandable Lex. ;)

I wasnt trying to argue or anything like that. I know of host files which is why i mentioned it. It is a good tool that can be used if done right. Very few people know of it and would never think of it. So you could use it and block sites easily.

To Servo:

Can also use OpenDNS. Free and easy to use/configure.

Maintaining lists of IP addresses for allowed Web sites and generating lists of what IPs to block seems to be a lot of work.

Maybe this is what the OP is looking for.

Web Filter

While it is a lot of work and not easily done over a network it is at least a option. OpenDNS is basically just like that.

OpenDNS FTW! I use it myself, and it is completely free. You choose the level of filtering you want, and can even customize by picking and choosing.

Click the link in my sig. It is not a referral, just a link to it.

I knew Trotter would come by soon with his OpenDNS remark. I tried to stave it off by posting about it first. But no luck there. :p

Love ya Trotter. :D

Sorry i never explained my self. Basically i want to be able to block all but a few websites that are necessary for work and for updates that might be needed. Essentially i have a user who is spending to much time shopping online and not enough doing their work. If i edit the host file would it cause problems with network resources?

I saw the link for open dns and I will have to mess with it. Probably a stupid question but if i enable open dns on my firewall will that fark up the rest of my network that was using our isp dns serves?

OpenDNS is just like a proxy server. It wont mess with your network. It is used for connection to the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom