low cost internet filtering software

Status
Not open for further replies.

servo.tsc

In Runtime
Is there a program where i can white list the only sites i want a user to be able to view and have everything else blocked?Better question also is how much does software like this cost.
Thank you

IE has this built in. Tools>Internet Options>Security. There you will see trusted sites and restricted sites. The Restricted sites will not allow someone to go to that site. Can also be done via host files. Which can be done on any version of Windows.

IE has this built in. Tools>Internet Options>Security. There you will see trusted sites and restricted sites. The Restricted sites will not allow someone to go to that site. Can also be done via host files. Which can be done on any version of Windows.
Which wouldn't be able to be changed by a user on that computer?

There are ways yes. But they can be gotten around. Can also enforce it via a GPO as well. But he never asked anything like that. He just asked how it could be done. I gave information as to how to obtain this. It can be gotten around if you know what you are doing. Very few people know about host files. Let alone how to get rid of them.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers. You're right he didn't ask. And i wasn't aware of the host files idea. I just figured if you want to block websites you probably... nevermind i'll drop it.

No continue. There are many ways it can be done. Many more which it can be gotten around. Without information as to how he wants to accomplish this task there is no wrong answer at this point. Sure there is software that can do it but there is also ways built into Windows.

Host files are present and can be removed. If you know where to find them. They are located in the Windows\System32\Driver\etc folder. It is one thing if you know about host files. But many people dont. If you dont you wont find them easily cause of their location.

Host files are basically a filter for internet access. They are localized to the PC in use. They can be used as a redirect for PC's as well. Wikipedia has the best explination.

Hosts file - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many people do not realize that host files can be used as a internet filter and that it can be used to block stuff. Ads is just one example. Site can be blocked as well. While you suggestion for Vista to use the Parental Controls is great. Host files are also a good alternative for the reason that many people will not realize that the host files are at fault. They will think something is wrong with the internet or browser first before they blame host files. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom