lots

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
i guess tonight is the night. this is my 3rd post tonight. this one is about my (vista) desktop. it was running quite slow, even after maintenance, so i opened the task manager, and went looking. i have been to the processes tab many times, and closed one particular item, usually when it locks up for whatever reason. but this time, i made it into the services tab. i was amazed at how many things were there, and at how many were actually running. so, of course, i fiddled around and stopped several of them. none of them seemed to make much of a difference, but i now notice that one of them that i stopped, is making it so my computer will no longer go to sleep when it is scheduled to, or when i manually put it to sleep. i have to shut down the computer, or it stays running all the time. i looked to see if there was a spot to put things back by way of a default type button or default settings, but i could not find one in the task manager. any idea where i need to go to fix this, or am i going to have to keep shutting it down?

Start -> type "Services" -> press Enter and it should bring up the Services manager window. There you can go through and re-enable services.

You can also look through the list of services by going to: Start -> type in "msconfig" -> Press Enter -> go to the Services tab -> check the "hide Microsoft services" checkbox and then you can look through the list and disable unnecessary items. Same goes for the Startup tab in msconfig.

What was the guy's blog handle that had the list of needed services for Windows? It was "black" something. That would give you a list of what to re-enable.

Thanks, especialy Joe C. for the link to the webpage. i am printing all 10 pages of the list out, and i should be able to fix what i did from that.

well, crud, that did not fix things. i reset everything according to list, and even enabled some things that had been disabled, that i know i did not touch. but when i try to put my computer to sleep, the screen goes dark, but the rest of it stays running like a trooper. at the slightest movement of the mouse, the screen comes back. i did restart my computer after making the changes, as i know many times that has to happen to make changes take effect. in fact, it has been shut down and started twice more since the first restart. and since i have a doctors apointment this morning, i guess it will get shut off again. actually, i won't. i will see if it will sleep after the time set in power management tells it to. if its running when i return home, i will know its not fixed at all.

Double check your powermanagement settings to see what they're set at for the various actions (Sleep, Shutdown, etc.). May have to go into customize a power plan and go into the Advanced Settings as well.

nope. no such luck. it still will not sleep. i guess i need to activate one thing at a time, making notes, until i find which one will take care of the problem. and undo any changes that do not effect it. do you think i will need to restart the computer after each change?

Back
Top Bottom