Lost my OS Disk. What now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indobos

In Runtime
I have lost my Windows vista 32bit. It is on my PC and is registered. Can I get a new disk and just copy the key from my PC? What do you all recommend?

I was able to find out the information. Call Microsoft replacement @ 800-360-7561. Under Windows activation you will find the product ID which is proof of purchase as far as microsoft is concerned. Call them with this 20 digit number pay the $30 dollars and in 3-10 days you will have the new software and license key.

... Or you can just torrent an ISO and burn it to a disc for free within a few hours to days =\. That's all I've done lol. I have a Windows Home OEM disc that I needed for my old HP computer, so I just torrented one, and burned the ISO...

Note: this is perfectly legal, as you have a valid product key, which is the main thing that matters. They don't really care if you d/l the disc.

... Or you can just torrent an ISO and burn it to a disc for free within a few hours to days =\. That's all I've done lol. I have a Windows Home OEM disc that I needed for my old HP computer, so I just torrented one, and burned the ISO...

Note: this is perfectly legal, as you have a valid product key, which is the main thing that matters. They don't really care if you d/l the disc.

Carnagex, Could you please school me on how I go about doing this? I have never done bit torrent and so I don't understand what to do. And what is ISO?

Google is your friend on that one ;).

And an ISO is an image of a disc. It's all of the data on a disc, put into a file sorta similar to a ZIP or RAR file, except you can burn the ISO file directly to a disc (with an ISO burning program of course).

How can you be sure that it's a safe copy of it? I downloaded a copy of XP, so I can reinstall it on a friend's computer, but I don't want to install anything malicious.

Read the comments on 'em. That's the main thing I do. Then after you d/l it, scan it for malware/viruses... Just look for ones w/ high amounts of seeds (these are usually the good ones), and look for comments on 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom