Lost my hard-drive VOLUME

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezysk

In Runtime
Just happened to clone my hard-drive unto a 80 gig secondary one....along with a 30 gig partition that unfortunately I overlooked. Consequently, when I try to install the XP OS afterwards.....it only sees the 30 gig partition...and NOT the original 80 gig hard-drive volume. I attempted to resolve the issue by using Acronis Drive Cleanser. I used the option to DELETE the 30 gig partition...but it still showed up afterwards as: unallocated. Any suggestions ??

What are you trying to accomplish here? I see a bunch of stuff but nothing as to what you want.

So you want all 80GB for your XP? OR do you want the 30 GB free to use for other stuff?

What are you trying to accomplish here? I see a bunch of stuff but nothing as to what you want.

So you want all 80GB for your XP? OR do you want the 30 GB free to use for other stuff?

I just simply want to start from scratch...NOTHING on the hard drive and obviously of course: NO partitions. I would assume that a simple FORMAT command would do the trick, but I'm still booting from the CD drive. Not sure if formatting using either NTFS of FAT file system would work either.

You will have to delete the partitions and then format to have a blank drive with all the space.

I would recommend NTFS as it is far more secure than FAT.

Well Acronis Drive Cleanser couldn't delete the partition, but I was curious if anyone knows if Active KillDisk can do a far better job....since it claims that it ERASES partitions.

Yes Killdisk is a good one to use as well. If you have that can use that as well.

The only thing I'm worried about Killdisk is that afterwards the drive can't be used at all. I should have mentioned earlier that the sole purpose for this 80 gig HD will be for data storage only. I believe they mentioned something about preparing the drive using the FDISK command, and I'm assuming that can only be done on an A-floppy.

Yes. That is why i recommended GParted. It will do what you want and allow you to use the drive. Can also try DBan.

The drive can be used after Killdisk... I've done it multiple times, to a single drive. Am using it ATM right now as well. You just have to format it again (if it's just a data drive, you can do this via the Disk Management section after you boot into your OS).

hmm... try going to the setup screen of the windows again and partition the 80gb hard drive, you must input the 80gb hard drive, maybe you forgot that...

all in all you must see 3 different "lines"
1. 80gb
2. 30gb
3. 8mb (for the partition info, i think)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom