Lost/Missing HDD Memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

printscreen25

Solid State Member
Note - i searched for an answer to this and didn't find one, so i thought id let you know before people start flamming about the seach tool if this has already been answered

ht....i've just built myself a new pc and it include a 250GB hard drive...i then installed vista and then the pc was all ready. . . my total usuable amount of memory is 232GB and its says i have 195GB left
that means i used 37GB...
i looked at the properties of my user accounts, program files, and windows folders (those are the only folder i current have as its new)...and they total up to 12.4GB....
but its says ive used 37GB...where the rest being used?

To convert advertised space to windows space: multiply by .93
250GB X .93 = 232.5GB, so that is the correct display of speed.
Next, open C: and select all and go to properties. This should add up to roughly 35GB.

Note - i searched for an answer to this and didn't find one, so i thought id let you know before people start flamming about the seach tool if this has already been answered

ht....i've just built myself a new pc and it include a 250GB hard drive...i then installed vista and then the pc was all ready. . . my total usuable amount of memory is 232GB and its says i have 195GB left
that means i used 37GB...
i looked at the properties of my user accounts, program files, and windows folders (those are the only folder i current have as its new)...and they total up to 12.4GB....
but its says ive used 37GB...where the rest being used?

ya some hard drive makers say 250gb as if 1000mb was 1 gb when 1024mb is 1 gb

To convert advertised space to windows space: multiply by .93
250GB X .93 = 232.5GB, so that is the correct display of speed.
Next, open C: and select all and go to properties. This should add up to roughly 35GB.

thats more likely than what i said because ur using xp i assume right??

so im not loosing any memory?

i selected all in my C:...which adds up to 14.4GB
14.4GB x .93 = 13.392GB
but it says im using 40GB (i transfered some music since last post, thats the reasons for the figures increase)

picture from my computer
untitledko3.jpg

picture of properties (selected all in c: )
untitled1bq0.jpg

not sure if im picking up the wrong end of what you said tho?

edit: im using vista home premium 32 bit

so im not loosing any memory?

i selected all in my C:...which adds up to 14.4GB
14.4GB x .93 = 13.392GB
but it says im using 40GB (i transfered some music since last post, thats the reasons for the figures increase)

see image

untitledko3.jpg

not sure if im picking up the wrong end of what you said tho?

edit: im using vista home premium 32 bit

ya... then what i said works then....

You dont have hidden files listed, although im not sure on how much room they would take up.....

vista takes up 15 gig by itself. your space is in the hidden files and folders

i set folder options to "show hidden files and folders"
then i opened c:
and selected all, and it came to
16.4GB

:S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom