Lost Files After Cancelled Backup

percussing

Beta member
Hey everyone,
I was attempting to do a long-overdue backup of all of my files from my laptop running Windows 10 to my external hard drive. It was taking an extremely long time, so I closed my laptop at night assuming that the process would continue once the laptop was woken up again. However, it cancelled the backup and I somehow lost many different files, from Word docs to PDFs to audio. I believe that I've been able to restore everything except for the audio, and now my iTunes library only shows items purchased through the iTunes store. I search for the audio imported from CDs and downloaded, but only files that I saved somewhere other than my iTunes folder are there. If anyone knows how to restore the other audio files that I either imported from a CD using iTunes or downloaded and opened with iTunes, it would be a great help.

If and as always IF is an extremely big word but if you have "Previous Versions" installed then you may just have backups of those files on your hard drive and can restore them.

• Open Windows Explorer
  • Go to the top directory where the files should be
  • Right click your mouse on top of that directory
  • Left click on Properties
  • Look to the top right in the Tabs Area and you should see Previous Versions
Once you have done this then every directory and file that has been backed up inside of Windows or to term as they do has an available previous state|version available will be listed with their time and date. Select the directory/files you want to restore and restore them.

Note: They will restore to their original directory and name by default. This will overwrite any that exist so you should always change this, move/rename the original files directories to prevent loss or oopses.

Hope yours was on and you get them back

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips! I tried that, and there are two previous versions showing, both from the morning after the backup cancellation. It looks like both still just contain files either purchased through iTunes or imported from CDs using a program other than iTunes. I'm just not sure why files would have been lost when performing a simple backup.

Thanks for the tips! I tried that, and there are two previous versions showing, both from the morning after the backup cancellation. It looks like both still just contain files either purchased through iTunes or imported from CDs using a program other than iTunes. I'm just not sure why files would have been lost when performing a simple backup.

I would give recuva a try if you haven't already then. I would also consider an online backup service that would let you go back incrementally to prevent this possibility. Sorry:(

Back
Top Bottom