Looking for some help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2003, 05:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Looking for some help

I'm Looking for a little help. I am no wizard when it comes to computers so please bare with me. I am trying to transfer files from my desktop to my laptop. I went in town today and talked to some guys at a computer shop. They told me I should be able to do it through my network card. They sold me a network cable (cross wire) to go from one to the other. They tried to explain how to do it but they talked to high tech for me, I told them I didn't understand and then they looked at me like I was crazy. I'm trying to transfer my windows from one computer to the other. My laptop has no windows in it. The laptop has no CD-Rom, it only has a floppy drive so I have no way to put the windows back in it. I do have an external drive CD-Rom, but it plugs into a USB port and the computer won't recognize it. So I was hoping someone on here can walk me through the setup on how to tranfer files through my network cards. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Old 11-25-2003, 06:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

This could be bad. You need windows on your laptop inorder to get this to work.

But, essentially, you buy a special ethernet cable called a crossover cable. You attach one end to one computer and the other end to the other. Then you just create a network using the networks control panel.

Then your computer will show up as a server which you can dump files onto.

Old 11-25-2003, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks g5orbust!
Closed Thread