looking for a Registry cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

scroudt

In Runtime
as the topic states, I'm looking for a good reg cleaner. I used to use Amust, but the first time I used it on my new machine(OS Win XP pro-64bit) I had to run system restore because lost a bunch of programs and I couldn't get them to install again. Partly my fault because I didn't pay that much attention to what it was cleaning up.

What do you guys suggest?

Tuneup Utilities has a good registry cleaner among other various tools that you can use to tweak the system, but it is a trial for 30 days.

You could try the 32bit compatibility mode if any fail to work right off. That would be an idea since that's the 64bit edition of XP not Vista there.

The trouble is CCleaner is a drive and IE history cleanup tool not a full feature registry cleaner simply seeing an uninstaller there as added feature. The other programs create registry backups as well as allowing you to prevent entries from being removed by simply unchecking them.

Yes but for every day use CCleaner is fine as most users can't get into that much trouble with it. It hasn't got the most features but it is very very user friendly and will get most jobs done. That is why I recommended it to the OP.

Oh an it dose more than IE it will work with any browser I have used it with opera, FF and IE **** even safari.

There is no need for a full Registry Cleaner. As most can also be destructive as well as useful.

They are not smart enough to know what keys are in use or still have ties to programs. They just look for certain attributes which can be dormant on some Registry Keys at the time cause they are not in use. Along with some that delete DLL Files which can also be in use.

Why I don't use registry cleaners | Ed Bott's Windows Expertise |

Read Ed Bott's blog for some real good info. It will give you much about the downsides to running Registry Cleaners. There is no real advantage. IF the Registry Keys are not is use then they dont affect your system. If you are really worried use Revo Uninstaller.

The potential for what a Registry Cleaner can do far out weights the advantage it will give.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom