Looking for program - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Default Looking for program

I am looking for program wich enables people to upload files to my computer through their webbrowser.
I would like password protection also.

--Thanks

Old 11-09-2004, 09:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Um. If you have an FTP server setup on your machine, they can simply use their browser's built-in FTP functions. (IE has built in FTP services, and I'm sure other browsers do, too.)

Now if you want people to be able to send you files from a web-page, that's different. That'll require some server work, not to mention some web-coding on your part.

If all you want to do is share files directly (or indirectly) with other people, why not use a non-browser app, like WinMX or the file-transfer setups that come with popular chat programs?

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 11-09-2004, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

I already thought about setting up a website with a submit form, I think its too complicated. I tried the build-in FTP thing with my browsers. I could not connect though. I put ftp://myip:myport in the browser. Is this correct?

I want it to share and receive files directly, I don't like the MSN transfer feature, its nor reliable and does not work all the time.. and not everybody has MSN.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

I haven't setup a personal FTP server in a long time, so I would have to check with the Windows doco to re-read the article about how to do it. You'll probably need to update your IIS, first. (6.0.2600.1 is current.)

ICQ offers a pretty secure and error-proof FTP.

Anyway, personally when I have any FTP work to do, I either use WS-FTP, or WinMX, depending on what I'm doing. Both are decently secure (if not very) and are relatively easy to setup. WinMX won't cost you anything, but WS-FTP costs a couple bucks if you want to use it for more than a month or so.

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 11-09-2004, 09:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

I will try an FTP server again and get back to this thread later. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

w00t!!!

I set up an FTP server. I had to use passive mode because of my router. You can download the files with any browser, but u need to use explorer for uploading. It asks for a password also... pretty cool.

Thanks for helping ShoobieRat!