Looking for a Primer for Active Directory & Group Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

star_topology

In Runtime
Hey peeps, I was browsing the vast internets :p looking for a primer on Active Directory, and more specifically the Group Policy section. I came across too many results that were too vague and lengthy, although I am willing to sit down and read if I have to.

I know how to manage users/domains/passwords and such, but does anyone have a rundown of how I can accomplish the same thing Clean Slate(http://www.fortres.com/products/cleanslate.htm) does but with Registry Edits and Group Policy?
I don't feel like spending money on a program that will do things that I can learn to do with myself and a little extra effort.

Ok... Now this is going to be a rather lengthy...
First off , Do NOT use a 3rd party app to ever setup your active directory... i couldn't imagine the problems that could bring up.
ok lets see... You have a group created in AD...
For a group you can create "policies." before you go any further try... gpedit.msc... what does this command bring up ?

You should be able to see all the policies that you have.
You can create new ones through AD by adding a gpo.
modify the gpo by trial and error.
Find out your needs and wants and mesh them together.

I appreciate all your help on this, but can you give me a somewhat detailed example?

For instance, how do I create a script/policy that will reload system settings (wallpaper, clock, cursors, icons) upon logoff?

Search through the editor and find anything on "local profiles"
as you probably know those settings are stored there.
Im pretty sure you can disable local profiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom