Looking into upgrading to Windows 8. Why should I not yet?

I always say don't upgrade windows until at least one service pack has been released.
This gives time for most of the major bugs to be ironed out, and drivers to have been released, tested and hopefully fully working by then

I have been thinking about this one as well and might buy windows 8 on DVD, while it is still cheap, so that I can upgrade in a few months time, or just to have a play with it inside a VM
Although I will be checking with work as to when they will have it available as I can usually get an OS via them for free

Whenever you can get Windows 8 for the cheapest do it. Prices are going to skyrocket on the 1st. SP1 for Windows 7 didn't do too much if I remember, so dont get your hopes up.

UPDATE:

I am confronted with a new question: Can I use this $14.99 upgrade deal and install it on a blank HDD or SSD in the future with nothing on it, or must I confirm my Windows 7 key in order to install it fully?

UPDATE 2:

I just found several links helping me about Windows 8 and it's complex installation processes:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1...ws-8-upgrade-on-a-totally-empty-ie-new-drive/

http://www.davejunia.com/2012/10/windows-8-pro-upgrade-experience/

Last edited:
yeah but to be fair I have never classed windows 7 as a full new OS, for me it was just windows vista, but fixed lol
I just think of windows 7, as being vista with a major service pack and overhaul, then re-branded and sold back to us once it worked.

and as I can obtain windows 8 from work for around £6 ($10) I am in no rush, as it has nothing to do with the microsoft public deal and is part of our "work at home" licence, so has no expiry time.
I checked it out tonight lol, as I wasn't sure if we had it on out software list, I am glad I check the list as I have just picked up office 2013 for the same price :)

yeah but to be fair I have never classed windows 7 as a full new OS, for me it was just windows vista, but fixed lol
I just think of windows 7, as being vista with a major service pack and overhaul, then re-branded and sold back to us once it worked.

and as I can obtain windows 8 from work for around £6 ($10) I am in no rush, as it has nothing to do with the microsoft public deal and is part of our "work at home" licence, so has no expiry time.
I checked it out tonight lol, as I wasn't sure if we had it on out software list, I am glad I check the list as I have just picked up office 2013 for the same price :)

I could say the same for Windows 7 myself.

Lucky for you. Awesome, I wish I had Office 2013.

I don't really forsee that happening considering all of the businesses that use Office. It would be too much of a leap and require redoing some of their infrastructure IMO.

I hope your correct, but the line between what's on your hard drive and what's on the interwebs is getting thinner all the time. I know of some folks that are less than tech savy that have no idea what's on their pc and what's on the internet

The reasoning behind what I was saying is that it would cost companies more money to implement it due to higher bandwidth costs, security, etc. (redoing their infrastructure as I previously mentioned). Because of this, most companies wouldn't buy it and M$ would then lose out on money from some of their biggest buyers.

Hey guys, I too realized this weekend that I need to install Windows 8 on most of my rigs due to the increase in prices in the the near future.

I upgraded my wife's ASUS i5 Laptop this week and was pleasantly surprised to discover that Microsoft's update manager worked flawlessly. Next, I installed the Windows Media Center that is free only 4 more days. So for $14.99, I feel it is a steal.

BTW, my wife kept complaining that she did NOT want Windows 8 on her laptop. Now she is happy as a lark. She loves it.

Finally, I was able to download the stand alone version of Office 2013 and with a company code, it was only $9.99. It is absolutely loaded with all sorts of bells and whistles. I believe I will have fun with it.

In closing, I do need some good advice. I posted a thread in the "building computers" part of this forum. I need some advice on what components to use. If you can help me, please reply there.

Up, up, and away, into new technology in the new year called 2013!

Soar

Back
Top Bottom