Longhorn

Status
Not open for further replies.

winblowz

In Runtime
Longhorn will by far be the closest thing to an os that M$ has made. A while ago it's source was stolen, compiled (while uncompleted), and sold on the black market.

I hear that Longhorn will have optomization features for 64 bit CPUs, and alot of new and awesome features.

But whats really in the source? What is so bad about windoze source that only m$ employees can see it? What are they putting in there? Am I just paranoid?

Tell me what you think about Longhorn.
Tell me what you think the big deal with M$ source is. :)

thanks
Al

Looks very similar to XP at the moment. If the alpha versions are a foreshadow of what the real OS will be, there is not enough major changes to justify the upgrade. More eye-candy will be a big thing. That 64-bit support and also the WinFS technology will be nice, though. I have to wait till more is out about Longhorn to make my opinion on it.

winblowz said:
Longhorn will by far be the closest thing to an os that M$ has made. A while ago it's source was stolen, compiled (while uncompleted), and sold on the black market.

I hear that Longhorn will have optomization features for 64 bit CPUs, and alot of new and awesome features.

But whats really in the source? What is so bad about windoze source that only m$ employees can see it? What are they putting in there? Am I just paranoid?

Tell me what you think about Longhorn.
Tell me what you think the big deal with M$ source is. :)

thanks
Al

It's called proprietary information. Meaning that not it's not open source like Linux and anyone attempting to copy/steal/distribute the source code will face litigation from MS. Its the same as if you invented a gadget and someone decided to get sneaky and make a similar product based on your invention. How would you feel if they stole your blueprint and put his/her name on it?

There's no question that Billy Boy didn't totally invent Windows out of thin air...or by himself either. But he and his cronies did put the work into developing it and making it what is today.

Longhorn is not just XP with more eye candy as I understand it. I've read snippets here and there and most of the significant 1changes seems to be underneath the engine. As you mentioned, that WinFS will be the most prominent one. As hard drives/ data storage gets bigger and bigger, it will be interesting to see how manipulating/organizing data will continue to be play a bigger role.

I know what open source is... it just seems to me as if M$ is possibly concealing something... ie. go to ****windows.com

Whats the WinFS engine?
thanks again

I agree with Lone Wolf. Its proprietary software. I know many people bash MS due to its financial security and close guarded secrets but guess what? Companies most important reason is NOT customer support, but its to make MONEY. I, for one, can completely understand that. Even if its illegal, enough change and a promise to do something similar BEFORE microsoft can release its original version will have the following effects. One, it will be released quickly and be shody at best. Two, as most consumers wont know the difference, they will tend to buy the cheaper and when MS comes out with the original version its old news by now, or is not a trusted piece of software add on anymore. God, its hard to convey this by typing and not talking, tend to lose myself and wonder if this is making sense.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom