Logging into a windows account on a different hard drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Logging into a windows account on a different hard drive

Well folks, I was stupid enough not to disable the automatic reboot option in Windows XP and now I cannot get into windows. Luckily I have another hard drive with windows on it that works. So i connected the hard drive that works as master, and the one that isn't on slave and booted up. I am now able to get into windows, but I can't access MY hard drive because my user name is locked. Is there any way I can login to my account through this other hard drive? THanks

Scott

Old 06-24-2005, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

go into safe mode right click the folder and look for permissions or security. assign ownership back to you

Old 06-24-2005, 10:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

go into safe mode with the hard drive that boots up?? the one that has information that i need can't even boot into safe mode
Old 06-24-2005, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by daftestscientis
go into safe mode with the hard drive that boots up?? the one that has information that i need can't even boot into safe mode
1.right.
2. because you need to assign ownership back to it
Old 06-24-2005, 11:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

http://www.techist.com/showthread.ph...king+ownership
Old 06-24-2005, 06:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Tried what you suggested however security options can only be set for user accounts on the hard drive I am currently logged into. When I try and add 'Scott' it cannot find the name.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

I have personally unlock some people user account in the same way. I hook them up to my computer as slave and changed ownership. you sure it isn't corrupted?
Old 06-24-2005, 07:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

You can run checkdisk on that drive as well if you slave it off. Might try that and then try Eric's suggestion.
I guess Im missing somthing here, as what you have explained only should allow for the person logging in to regain access to the files. I thought the issue is that you can't login.
Can you use the Admin account in safe mode to work with the settings? Maybe I'm missing something here, but the ownership thing doens't correct Login problems...

Closed Thread