Locked out of Windows XP Prof

Ken D

Solid State Member
Hi all,
I just got a Dell 6400 with Win XP Prof SevPack3 on it, initially there was the previous user's log in which I had the password for, so I got in as Admin and added my name as a new Admin and later removed the other Amin. However when I restarted the laptop later it would not take the password I had chosen, even it showed the correct password hint when I clicked the ? sign. I have tried the MS recommended process for getting into XP Prof, but doing that it doe not give me the choice to reset. Could anyone help? Is there another way via BIOS to reset?
Thanks
Ken

Carnage that's why at my school they make "groups" of pc's and give them all the same admin password. There's around 5 per group, but the passwords only differ slightly. This also creates a minor flaw because as a student I can crack their passwords if I get one from one group. (I'm not saying do this, but I'm saying you could do something similar). I also do not recommend cracking any passwords, I only meant that it was possible.

Carnage that's why at my school they make "groups" of pc's and give them all the same admin password. There's around 5 per group, but the passwords only differ slightly. This also creates a minor flaw because as a student I can crack their passwords if I get one from one group. (I'm not saying do this, but I'm saying you could do something similar). I also do not recommend cracking any passwords, I only meant that it was possible.

The passwords are updated at where I worked every 3 or 4 months or so. If a computer has not been on the network or loggged on for 30 days then it falls off the domain. The new Admin passwords are pushed out via group policy, so if a system is off the domain it wont get the push. This happened fairly often with manufacturing floor systems so this tool was easier than going down the list of passwords trying to find the right one, or if the password for the account somehow got changed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

Ahh our system doesn't change the passwords using group policy so it's not that much of an issue xD I have no idea why they don't use GP, but they update the passwords manually if needed, but the school rarely changes the admin passwords.

Back
Top Bottom