Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No WAY!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

luke127

The Ghost
Hi guys, Over the last few weeks I have researched A LOT! Mostly on security and stuff like that. Now I have written a book that is aimed to be read by parents to help restrain a child's curiosity because if children play around with settings that they have no idea about it could prove disastrous so this book I have written is missing ONE thing. Know what it is? If not It needs PICTURES :D So if anyone has windows 7 professional or ultimate please upload some pics to this thread. If you help I give out rep simple as that :)

Okay can I be the person who asks the dumb question...

What pictures do you need? You say to upload some pics....of what?!? Want my desktop? Want the system information screen? You kinda need to give some specifics....

I understand the topic says Local Group Policy Editor, but quite honestly that is down right overkill for a home user and parents alike. Why is this more effective than just creating an account and putting it under parental controls? You get the same effect and far less frustration an pretty much zero learning curve.

I can understand your point behind it all and I do applaud it. But seriously any parent isnt going to have Win7 Pro or Ultimate on their home machine. They are going to have Win7 Home Premium that comes preinstalled with the prebuilt machine they bought. If a parent ends up buying Pro or Ultimate it is cause the kid is the geek and told them they needed it, making the use of GPO pointless as the kid will know ways around it. Such as hacking into the parents account and turning off GPO.

Good reason behind what you want. But you are taking a rocket launcher to an anthill.

Point taken however check this out. There are next to no ways to hack the GPO with out the access code gpedit.msc and if the child doesn't know that then his account is basically whatever his/her parents want it to be. But for the parents out there I do advise you to put a strong password on your account that your children WILL NOT guess. Try to make it long and complex that way things like Ophcrack have a lot of trouble.

AND even if you used the parental controls you said it yourself he/she will hack the parents account and disable them.

As for the pictures I would like to have some of the Group Policy Editor as explained in the title. Use the windows snipping tool if you have vista or 7 and as for XP users well it's kinda out of date now sorry.

OH BTW!! Windows XP SP3 runs out of support by may 2014 so time to upgrade peops!

Sorry for triple post but for some reason can't delete the above post and put the info into the post above it?? Anyway I have also been wondering about Multi level security clearances like the stuff you see in the movies like the new show on Ch7 Missing. Like CIA multi level that sorta thing. Is it possible to change a user so that it's like this?

But the point still is that no parent would buy Professional or Ultimate versions of the OS without the kid telling them that they need it. There are few parents out there that know of these versions that would take advantage of GPO. If the parent does know of these versions, they are most likely tech people like us and already know of GPO, parental controls and strong passwords so that their accounts cant be hacked and taken over by the kids.

The average parent would only have Home Premium installed on their machine, which makes GPO editing useless as it is not included in that version. So parental controls are the way to go for them. But as stated, the passwords can be hacked and such measures defeated. Even with GPO, there is no saying that the kids dont know of ways to get the password, like the one you mentioned, and then remove the GPO edits created.

Most of those machines are most likely Linux boxes that have different levels. Such as Root users and prompt for Root passwords when things are done. Sort of like UAC on Windows. There is no multi level access within Windows without UAC. If a parent really wanted to control the kid, they would put them on a parental control account with UAC set to full so that the kid cant make any edits to the machine without knowing the admin password. In addition to strong passwords, making sure that they change the password every month would add in protection just in case the kid decides to try and hack the machine.

The most effective method for a parent to protect their kid is with such tactics. Add into that putting a BIOS password on. Those are even more difficult to hack than anything on Windows. Set the machine to boot only to the hard drive with the BIOS protected and the kid couldnt even use a tool like a LiveCD to try and hack the password. As there is no way to use such a tool. It would require the BIOS password to change the boot order.

Like I said, I can understand where you are coming from. But with what I have outlined above a parent using a prebuilt machine with the preinstalled software, they can protect themselves and their accounts from any sort of hacking and make sure they prevent anyone from messing with the settings they have applied. Putting a BIOS password on and setting the boot priority will go further for an average parent than trying to teach them GPO. At least in my experience.

But the point still is that no parent would buy Professional or Ultimate versions of the OS without the kid telling them that they need it. There are few parents out there that know of these versions that would take advantage of GPO. If the parent does know of these versions, they are most likely tech people like us and already know of GPO, parental controls and strong passwords so that their accounts cant be hacked and taken over by the kids.

The average parent would only have Home Premium installed on their machine, which makes GPO editing useless as it is not included in that version. So parental controls are the way to go for them. But as stated, the passwords can be hacked and such measures defeated. Even with GPO, there is no saying that the kids dont know of ways to get the password, like the one you mentioned, and then remove the GPO edits created.

Safe Mode with Command Prompt > net user Administrator /active:yes > boot to Admin > remove passwords/restrictions/etc > reboot. Voila
:D

I know you already knew that one Mak, but just providing an example.

Can I just point this out. Carnage I tried that code and you need elevated cmd which if UAC is active a child cannot have.

Nevermind, guess you're right. Thought it would run it with elevated privileges since it was started under system32 in the console, but the user role takes precedence I guess. Tried with a test account as a standard user and gave me the access denied error message when I tried it; my bad.

That trick only works in XP although nice try :) Believe me before mum left her account logged in with me on the PC I WAS DESPERATE for admin rights to try out all my new knowledge and now I can do whatever I like to this PC and not have to worry about it anymore :D It's great!

btw thanks K for deleting that triple post :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom