Local Disk

spacecadet11

In Runtime
Hello. For the longest time..I only had a 'c:/local drive on my computer. Now magically I have a Q:/ drive. What happened? Why is that? I would like to get rid of it how?

Thanks
SC

Did you plug something into your computer like a flash drive or card reader? Do you still have a C: drive? Is the Q: drive under the "hard drives" section or is it under the "devices with removable storage" section?

Post a screenshot of your 'Computer' window in explorer so we can understand what you mean.

When I have the time to do so..I will.

I have a local disk c: and now I have a local disk Q: (Its under the hard drives section)

I do not know why its there..but if I can..I'd like to get rid of it.

My computer says it's able to use 82Gb of local disk c: when 147 is available.
Might be causing issues.

I installed more ram recently

Thx
SC

Last edited:
Ok, instead of the 'Computer' window, get a screenshot of the Disk Management screen.

To open Disk Management, go to Start -> type 'Create and format hard disk partitions' (without quotes) > Press enter or click it -> take a screenshot of this Window; this will show the disk layout.

I'm guessing your HDD was partitioned (did you partition your drive recently?)

Not intentionally..but I 'reinstalled' windows 7. I believe I had a missing dll file issue again..somewhat. And of course that really bugged me.

Its not really playing around but I have been 'exploring...' things a bit. Might of done something I don't want. Funny...don't see the 'q-drive' listed.

The screen shot won't attach to this forum..it says too many characters
There is no q:drive listed on the disk management screen. Strange?....

Last edited:
The Q drive could be a virtual drive. Did or have you installed anything on your pc recently and if so, what did you install?

If it was something like a virtual disk drive, it wouldn't show up under the HDD's section of Computer.

Not intentionally..but I 'reinstalled' windows 7. I believe I had a missing dll file issue again..somewhat. And of course that really bugged me.

Its not really playing around but I have been 'exploring...' things a bit. Might of done something I don't want. Funny...don't see the 'q-drive' listed.

The screen shot won't attach to this forum..it says too many characters
There is no q:drive listed on the disk management screen. Strange?....

You can upload screenshots to image hosts like Imgur or TinyPic.

Did you do anything before it disappeared? Like reboot your computer, change any settings, uninstall anything or anything like that?

If it was something like a virtual disk drive, it wouldn't show up under the HDD's section of Computer.

You can upload screenshots to image hosts like Imgur or TinyPic.

Did you do anything before it disappeared? Like reboot your computer, change any settings, uninstall anything or anything like that?
Not sure what your asking here.

I tried those programs...not sure how to use them. Can not post screen shots to this forum.

I believe when I 'turned' on system protection with a system restore program that comes with windows 7. It 'partitioned' the disk...with a 'copy' of the system files..so they could be restored ( if needed ) at a later time.

I think (not sure..would like someone who does) that system restore partitioned the disk (and is calling said partition [q:drive] so it can have 'restore points'

Bye
SC

Not sure what your asking here.

I tried those programs...not sure how to use them. Can not post screen shots to this forum.

I believe when I 'turned' on system protection with a system restore program that comes with windows 7. It 'partitioned' the disk...with a 'copy' of the system files..so they could be restored ( if needed ) at a later time.

I think (not sure..would like someone who does) that system restore partitioned the disk (and is calling said partition [q:drive] so it can have 'restore points'

Bye
SC

System Restore doesn't create partitions on the drive.

If you're in Windows Vista/7/8, you can use the built-in Snipping Tool program. Save the image somewhere, upload it to Imgur.com or Tinypic.com and post the link here.

You can also use the Print Screen button / paste into MS Paint method as well, but Snipping Tool makes it easier.

Back
Top Bottom