List of Essential Productivity Software for College Students and What it does?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
Here is a few to name:

1. Photoshop - editing dorm pictures and such...
  2. Microsoft Word / Powerpoint/ Outlook - standard school stuff and email.
  3. Freemind Mindmap (free)- Brain storm mindmapping software
  4. Flash Card Manager - for studying tests via flash cards on computer
  5. iTunes (free) - music manager
  6. Opera (free)- Web browser
  7. Ccleaner(free) - fast speedup for computers
  8. Comodo Firewall - firewall
  9. Nod32 - antivirus
  10. object dock - make ur desktop look a little cooler like a Mac OSX

Anything else I'm missing on this list or a better alternative?

Photoshop is not necessary unless you are taking a Art Course or Web Design course. Even then you could get by with GIMP, Paint Shop Pro, Paint.NET among many others.

OpenOffice is a great substitute for Microsoft Office.

There are way better options for music. iTunes stinks at the best of times and shouldnt even be used with a iPod. Dont believe me read some of the "I Hate iTunes" threads in the Computer Audio & Multimedia area.

Opera, Firefox, IE, Chrome, Maxthon, among many other browsers can be used. That is user preference to choose one over another.

CCleaner is not a speedup. It is a temp file cleaner. That is mainly it. That process can be done manually but people prefer to do it with a 1 click solution.

Zone Alarm, Sygate among many other firewalls are also out there. ZA has a free one as well.

There are free alternatives to NOD32. AVG and Avast are among tops.

What if someone doesnt want their Windows PC to look like a Mac? What if they prefer the way the desktop looks or dont like to have anything on there at all? Then Object Dock would be useless and pointless to them. Not to mention it isnt the only one out there and if you really want to go for the OS X looks, flyakiteosx. Go all the way.

Now if you want something that should be on there.

The software listed in Osiris's Guide. Keep your system clean if you ever have a doubt. There is also a lot of stuff listed in the Recommended Software for Certain Tasks thread. Many free and much better media players in there. Other than that i think i covered just about everything else.

I use rocketdock as I can set what I want on it and it does not use any resources

Rocketdock.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom