Linux Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Fudleone

Baseband Member
hello all,

now don't y'all get excited. awww what the heck - go for it.:p

whats the best Linux distro you can recommend, from experience if any.

i am looking for something with desktop capabilities and fairly minimal upkeep for the next three months. after this i am willing to completely switch from windows.

i have been researching for a while now but i just need something to give me a kickstart.:D

any thoughts are welcome.

Don Fudleone

I started with Mandrake, and I still think its the best bet.

I would also reccomend Lycoris. They are trying to replace windows and are selling a boxed set with a program that lets you play windows games and applications in linux.

I have no idea, I for the life of me cannot get the hang of Linux I tried Red Hat 9, uh well I am back to windows....lol I applaud those whom use linux..

It's really not as hard as most people make it, but it IS different.

Just curious, microsoftne, what part of KY are ya at? If you notice my location over there <--------------- you will see that I am from KY also.

The best Linux distribution ever is MCC, unfortunatly the last avaliable install was for Kernel 1.0.

Your best bet with Linux as far as I am concerned is RedHat because of it's ease of install. Distros come and distros go, but RedHat has been pretty stable since about kernel version 1.1. Linux is Linux is Linux, no matter what distro you get the OS is still the same. You may have a different Window Manager for X, different locations for config files, or sysv instead of BSD style init, but it's all still Unix.

-al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom