Linux passes Windows Genuine Adventage test..

Status
Not open for further replies.

furtivefelon

In Runtime
here is a story posted on slashdot:
full story: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/08/08/Linux_OK_WGA/

Copy:
Here's a funny story. Linux user walks into bar... Oh no, hang on - Linux user logs onto Microsoft, to download DX9. Passes WGA with flying colours, with no tinkering involved. Hilarity ensues:

Whilst attempting to download directX (to see if i could install it on Wine) I came across a lil "Windows Genuine Advantage" check before I could download it.

Being a Linux Zealot, this is the first time I've actually seen it, but I've obviously heard lots about it. So, I think, lets see what Microsoft makes of a Linux box then.....

clicketyclick. copy-paste-code. clicketyclick.

A few brief moments later....

Et voila. Whaddya know, it turns out that Linux, using wine, is an actual genuine copy of Windows, according to the WGA checker exe.

See the pics of the penguin powered act of infiltration here, and don't forget to tell us what you think of this... oddity... in our news forum here.

Great! I have run with xcleaner. Anyone know it this program is effective or not? I have noticed that no matter how often I use it I still experience "slow downs"......I'm definitely going to give MS a try. Thanks for the great research and heads up!!! Opppppss...wrong thread!!! I'm now cutting and pasting! Sorry!

Currently there are at least 4 different ways to bypass Genuine Advantage. Microsoft has realized this and is going back to the drawing boards for Genuine Advantage.

Microsoft gives up on upgrade ban

Of all the ways to bypass it my favorite is using IE's own built in "Manage Add-ons" tool found in IE 6 that shipped with SP2.

Another tool courtesy of Microsoft is running the stand alone genuinecheck.exe under compatibility mode as Win 2K.

Microsoft, when your not busy re-booting they are good for a laugh at times. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom