Linux OS - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Stevo808
Default Linux OS

I was wondering which linux is the best that i could use. I have a old computer just laying around and i wanna install linux, i dont know much about it so i need some help. Can anyone point me out which is the best linux out there?

Old 05-05-2006, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

You can DEFINATELY get some answers from the Chatterbox section at http://forum.silverblade.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=6

Hope this is of some use and good luck!

Old 05-05-2006, 06:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Just realised, if you click on that link you then need to select the forum index at the top, to be able to view Chatterbox.

Do take a peep, well worth a look!
Old 05-05-2006, 10:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to Blitze105 Send a message via Yahoo to Blitze105

Linux is the greatest operating systems there is to have. If you are willing to read about it and figure out what you are doing, then do so! People claim to not understand linux a lot and keep windows, it isn't that they do not understand it is that they:

1. give up
2. dont want to read and claim they dont get it
3. are to afraid to experiment

Linux has much to offer, it can do many things, and it always working to provide you with better things. Linux does not need drivers for every piece of hardware, you don't have to reboot every time u install / uninstall something, you do not need 15 CD keys, you do not need $500 for the o/s and a few programs, you will not have to wait 20 minutes for programs to close, you will not have to worry about every thing you do giving u infections, and you will NEVER see messages like this:

Try it out, its a great OS. never had an error with it yet
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/ <-- great site for a test
-blitze
Old 05-06-2006, 05:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Wow thanks for the advice guys, it helped alot.

Old 05-06-2006, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to IBMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Blitze105
Linux is the greatest operating systems there is to have. If you are willing to read about it and figure out what you are doing, then do so! People claim to not understand linux a lot and keep windows, it isn't that they do not understand it is that they:

1. give up
2. dont want to read and claim they dont get it
3. are to afraid to experiment

Linux has much to offer, it can do many things, and it always working to provide you with better things. Linux does not need drivers for every piece of hardware, you don't have to reboot every time u install / uninstall something, you do not need 15 CD keys, you do not need $500 for the o/s and a few programs, you will not have to wait 20 minutes for programs to close, you will not have to worry about every thing you do giving u infections, and you will NEVER see messages like this:

Try it out, its a great OS. never had an error with it yet
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/ <-- great site for a test
-blitze
Linux does need drivers for things I don't have drivers for/need drivers for, I don't reboot every time i install/uninstall something. I don't have 15 cd keys to remember, Windows and many programs don't cost 500$, I don't wait even 20 seconds for programs to close and I don't have to worry about viruses and I don't ever see messages like that. Same thing with windows, sometimes you have to read and figure things out
40 GB HDD
Dual Mirrored 500 GB HDDs
DVD-ROM Drive
Windows Server 2003 x64 R2 SP2
Old 05-06-2006, 01:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

As for the topics question I personally favor the Fedora/SUSE distros but for an old computer I would Recommend **** Small Linux "DSL Linux", or Unbutu
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 05-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

awesoem thanks guys
stevo808

Closed Thread