Linux is Free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spfd

Daemon Poster
I've always been told linux was free but redhat charges and so does lindows.
Whats the deal with that?

I have redhat & mandrake, im getting lindows now.
Hopefully ill have a better experience =p
But yea, why do you have to pay ? i thought linux was free

most are free.. i know after novell bought suse, they now charge like $80 for home use. redhat has always offered it free for dl but has been pushing you to buy offering tech support and pretty much scaring anyone else offering rh9 isos for sale or dl. just seems like they have been slowly moving torwards a full retail product. now to kill the confusion rh free is now fedora and you have to pay for rh "enterprise linux." lots of ppl don't have broadband so downloading isos totally is out of the question, your alternative is to purchase the distros, paying for the cost of duplication and the physical cds themselves..not the media on them, thats free.

Most of the time when linux distros cost money it's just to cover the cost of producing cds and printing manuals.. and quite often when you purchase the retail version of a distro you get bonus discs with extra applications or something similar. If you've got broadband, though, there's really no point in paying for it since new versions are released fairly frequently and you'll end up downloading the updates anyways.

I don't think Lindows has a free downloadable version though. And I haven't heard very great things about Lindows. If you want a Linux of that style, Lycoris is better. And to download the ISO (that's right...only one), you have to go to lycoris.org not lycoris.com

Lycoris

Lycoris's install is simple, doesn't require much Linux knowledge, AND (best part) lets you play solitaire while installing...so that instead of being bored watching the progress bar move, I actually had to finish my game before pressing "Finish". :D

so pretend i get the linux redhat iso off the net

that means i dont get updates?
if i do not pay?

You can get any upgrades that you want. You just have to download them from a site in install them. It's not Rocket Science here man...
Linux is FREE if you don't want media and printed manuals. (Suse might be the exception)
Lindows is not free due to them having a propriatary "Wine" or Xwindows product allowing you to run windows media in it. That was the purpose for Lindows.

omg i asked about the upgrades, how do u expect a person who has never really used linux to know? why do you think i wold write here to ask?

NO insult intended. If you are new to it, then read about it before trying to understand how to recompile the Kernel.
Spend some time to understand what you are asking about before jumping the gun.
It's that simple...

spfd said:
so pretend i get the linux redhat iso off the net

that means i dont get updates?
if i do not pay?

All support for 'redhat 9' ends on: april 30, 2004. after that there will be no new updates for u to dl. the rest of the redhat versions currently supported (7-8) will end at the start of the new yr. if u want updates after support ends, upgrade to fedora or buy rh- enterprise ver.

Mandrake 9.2 is free and it is better than any Linux version I have used before. (IMHO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom