Linux Cats Hate Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing wroth with the NT kernel even. I mean, just keep garbage drivers and uncertified software off your PC and you should be fine.

In my Operating Systems classes we studied the inner workings of the NT and Linux kernels... Its quite amazing how similar NT is to Linux, its just abstracted away from the user. (Like how NT, like Linux, maintains a 'root'-based filesystem behind the scenes, which is why it supports below-drive-letter mount points now, and how NT, like Linux, abstracts hardware devices as branches off the file system. The structure of their kernels and the way they are modular is also very similar.)

i really hate these kinda discussions.. as they get no where, use whatever feels right ppl!

Gnitsoh said:
I really hate it when I see people who use linux tell me how much better it is than windows. That's so NOT TRUE.

well, linux is better than windows in the mind of anyone who actually care about computers :p if your just someone who wants to get the job done and have as little to do with computers in your spare time, hey *nix community doesn't welcome you :D

Gnitsoh said:
Windows is overall a better operating system, much easier to use and functionable. Sure it may have little flaw but what doesn't.

little flaws?? sure they have better drivers, more games and such, but that's just feeding off the popularity gained by Microsoft..

i don't recall ever anyone call security problems "little flaws", i agree windows has been making strides in fixing that problem, but their latest longhorn doesn't contain much exciting.. but they started at a pretty low level..

Gnitsoh said:
The flaws linux doesn't come with comes with a price. It's harder to use, you have to spend hours at a time to learn how to install and fix things and it does not run many of the windows software products available on the market.

wow, great sentence: "the flaws linux doesn't come with comes with a price", i have no idea what that means.. i assume you mean linux is free?

mmm.. installing packages depends on distro your referring to.. debian make it alot easier to install than say fedora core.. with the apt-get system, it's easier than windows :p

well, that's why it's called "WINDOWS SOFTWARE"... i don't see it supports linux, and it's not open source, so you can't blame linux for not running it.. and wine is making strides to support even those software that doesn't support linux :|

Gnitsoh said:
I mean, these people are so stuck on the fact that Linux is better that just to justify and prove that they are infact correct they force themselves to use the peice of software for their desktop.

ok, may be some of us enjoy running a more powerful OS than windows :p with all the problem and happy times that come with a less popular OS..

Gnitsoh said:
I ask them why and they say they can get things done quicker. lol

yea.. okay. Sure you can.

i'm really not sure what this comment is about.. but i'll say "yea.. okay, sure you can :D"

well, linux is better than windows in the mind of anyone who actually care about computers :p if your just someone who wants to get the job done and have as little to do with computers in your spare time, hey *nix community doesn't welcome you

Why is it better in your mind and it is based on anyone who actually cares about computers? You make no sense. What in the world are you going to do in Linux that'll make you think it's a better operating system? Oh, you spend 4 hours fixing and building rpm's for your system and installing them along with all the other configurations. Does that make you feel good? That you just waisted 4 hours of your life fixing and installing common features Windows has already built into it's system?

If it does then your a lost cause, there's nothing that I can really say to you and you describe exactly what I have been talking about.

The individual that loves to THINK that LINUX is soooo cool that they would spend hours or even weeks learning and installing common functions that the Windows operating system comes with.

What I was talking about when I was mentioning the flaw was that Linux is free but it comes with it's flaw, which is, it's a much harder and more complex operating system for the desktop.

The only thing linux is good for is a server. I would definately use linux to be a web server. That is actually what I use now with all of my customers.

Windows has more software compatible with it and more drivers along with millions of other things. Blame it on the market or monopoly, it doesn't matter. It's still the best with all that it has going for it.

Gnitsoh said:
Oh, you spend 4 hours fixing and building rpm's for your system and installing them along with all the other configurations. Does that make you feel good? That you just waisted 4 hours of your life fixing and installing common features Windows has already built into it's system?
FOUR HOURS?? I don't think so. Besides kernel updating (which took about two hours) the longest it has ever taken me to compile a package is 30 minutes. I don't build RPMs.

You also like to paper over something BIG: APT-GET. apt-get takes all the complexity out of compilation and RPMs. There is a world outside of RH-based distros.

What I was talking about when I was mentioning the flaw was that Linux is free but it comes with it's flaw, which is, it's a much harder and more complex operating system for the desktop.
What part of "that's part of the fun" do you not understand?

Windows has more software compatible with it and more drivers along with millions of other things. Blame it on the market or monopoly, it doesn't matter. It's still the best with all that it has going for it.
Yes it does, I will, yes it does, and that is YOUR opinion, not mine.

EDIT: Learn to spell, please.

I am done with this thread. I think I have explained exactly what I felt and I am sure alot of you (whether you would like to agree or disagree) understand exactly what I am trying to relay.

This thread is done for me.

I'm so sorry, I was enjoying this thread and wanted to keep it open for as long as possible, but now I see that it is going nowhere fast, so thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom