Linux Cats Hate Windows - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 06:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Here we go

Micro: I can play games
Tux: We have security
Micro: Ours is better
Tux: ours is free

and so on.

Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 07-14-2005, 06:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyler1989
Here we go

Micro: I can play games
Tux: We have security
Micro: Ours is better
Tux: ours is free

and so on.
Nicely said. once again Windows is better as an operating system, Linux is ONLY better as a server because it is free.

Old 07-14-2005, 07:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to TheHeadFL

Linux and Windows can be equally secure when locked down properly.

The thing is, most people in charge of administrating servers don't know as much as they think they do, and thus a lot of stupid mistakes are made. I would trust someone who did nothing but read a MCSE test prep book to lock down a Windows Server box.

I would trust no less than an experienced systems programmer to lock down a Linux box.

Its not more secure if half the admins out there are too ignorant to know how to close all the holes that are inherent in it.
Linux: P3 450Mhz, 386MB ram, Slackware 10.1 (Running mySQL/Apache)
Old 07-14-2005, 07:13 PM   #24 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Just let the thread die or get locked this is only for fan boy arguments.
Vista Discussion | 64 Bit Discussion |Microsoft Homepage | Yo Linux | Paul Thurrott | Fire Fox | Thunder Bird | Image Shack | Photo Bucket | Put File | Anti-Spyware | MS Anti-Spyware | Trillian | Anti-Virus | On Line Virus Scan
Old 07-14-2005, 07:27 PM   #25 (permalink)
Newb Techie

imo linux based operating systems are a good place for ppl who know a lot more than the average user to use this knowledge. However, it's gotta suck not having all the software that you can get with a windows OS. Then again you can always set up a dual partition.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:21 PM   #26 (permalink)
Newb Techie

How many of you use linux and how many of you use windows? I'm sure a majority of you are using the Windows operating system.

It's also horrible how you can't even play games on Linux. Why is that?
Old 07-14-2005, 11:13 PM   #27 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Ugh a Linux-Windows flame war, always fun
Both operating systems are good imo so I think I'll just sit back and watch how this turns out.
I use XP Pro btw. I've know a bit about Linux but never *really* used it so I'm in no position to comment on it.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:17 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member (again)

Send a message via AIM to macdude425 Send a message via Yahoo to macdude425

I happen to use DSL 1.1 and SuSE Personal 9.1. My main PC runs Mac OS X Panther.
Quote:
Originally posted by Gnitsoh
It's also horrible how you can't even play games on Linux. Why is that?
Because the "average" gamer does not use Linux. Many don't even know it exists.

Debian Support Forums!
Old 07-15-2005, 12:17 AM   #29 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

I've had my experience with Linux, and it is very annoying to have to go through all the compiling and ./configures just to install something. Then only find out you don't have a dependency you need. Yeah, Linux is good for servers. I would use it for my server because of its stability. However, I would not use Linux as a desktop operating system until somebody develops a user friendly simple-to-use OS on the Linux kernel. Yeah, its a better operating system at the kernel level, but it has a long way to go.

There are two reasons I don't use Linux....1 is the method about which I have to install programs, its like hell if you don't have the right dependencies, and even getting them compiled and installed can be a job. Hypothetically, i think the best OS would be Windows XP on the Linux kernel, with the extra UNIX features that you don't have in regular XP.

P.S. I have only had XP crash on me one time, and that was because of a bad Creative driver. I've had Linux lock up on me twice. Like was said above, if your Windows is crashing at night, either you have a serious hardware problem or you need to get the hell off of Windows ME!
Old 07-15-2005, 12:55 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member (again)

Send a message via AIM to macdude425 Send a message via Yahoo to macdude425

A Mac OS X sort of thing would be nice, minus some of the glam, plus a stronger core.

Debian Support Forums!
Closed Thread