Linked (Synchronized) Drive Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grasor

Beta member
Hey all,

A co-worker today asked me to build her a computer with a Windows 7 64-bit OS. That part is easy enough. However, she asked me to installed "Linked" Hard Drives. I've never heard of that before, I think she's referring to Synchronized drives. Her description was that she wants whatever happens on Drive A to occur on Drive B. The point is of course to protect herself from a HDD failure.

I've never performed this procedure before. Could someone walk me through it?

Thanks,
Tom

Possibly, Or It sounds like she might be talking about something like this:

SyncBack| Freeware

there are other brands as well, it was just an example.

And it cant be RAID 5 unless she uses three drives. ;)

Thanks for clarifying the setup she was referring to. I think I'll go with RAID 1 - Mirroring. Since that's all she needs. I honestly haven't encountered a RAID setup since Windows 3.1 so before I get started I wanted to verify that the following will work.

1) The MB I'm going to use is an EVGA Intel P55; which EVGA says has RAID 1 capability built-in.
2) I'll be using 2x WD 640 GB Hard drives. They will be identical
3) The OS is Windows 7 64-Bit Professional.

I understand the setup procedure varies somewhat, but I always thought this was something that was installed during a Windows installation. I imagine it's straightforward from then on. Could one of you shed some light on whether or not this process can get complicated? Other than that, I'm probably good to go.

You should probably also tell her that she will have a maximum storage capacity to half of the total storage between the two drives, i.e., 640GB. It appears to be all A-ok.

If your MB is capable of doing RAID 1 it will come with instructions on how to set it up. As you said every manf. is a little different. Eseentially you will create one logical drive from the two physical drives before installing the OS. Then the OS will only see one logical 640 gb drive (which technically is both your drives mirroring eachother). Once you get to that point you will have to format the logical drive and install the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom