Link to File is not working. EMBEDs are displayed as icons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvircsik

Beta member
I'm trying to create links to image files (.EMF .JPG .WMF) in Word 2007, Excel 2007, and PowerPoint 2007. Instead of getting a LINK, I get an EMBED Package.

Open a blank Word 2007 doc / Insert tab / on Text panel click Object button / Create from File tab / Browse... to the file / turn on "Link to file" / click OK.

Depending on the image file type, I either get an icon and filename, or just the filename. Pressing Alt-F9 shows that it got inserted as an "EMBED Package", not a "LINK".

If I perform the same steps to link to a Word or Excel file, the complete doc or spreadsheet is displayed, and Alt-F9 shows that it is a LINK.

Additionally, when I perform similar steps on an image file, but leave "Link to file" turned off, I still get icons and filenames.

I'm running Windows XP, Service Pack 3, 091208-2036. Microsoft Office Small Business 2007, Word 2007 (12.0.6504.5000) SPs MSO (12.0.6425.1000). Different systems at my company running Vista or XP (Service Pack 3) get different results...sometimes it works as expected...sometimes it doesn't.

My 2 problems are:

1. I need to have full images displayed in the Word, Excel, or PowerPoint file.

2. When I turn on "Link to File", I should get a LINK, not EMBED Package.

How can I change my settings to overcome both of these problems? What ARE the settings that control these?

Any help will be appreciated!

Mike

i'm not clear on what you're trying to achieve here. do you want the image to appear in the word file? if so, click insert > add picture. or do you want a text link to the file? if so, click insert > hyperlink.

if you want the pic to appear and have the pic link to a file, then insert the pic then right click the pic and click hyperlink

Thanks, "office politics".

I'm trying to figure out why the steps I've described sometimes work and sometimes do not work, to display a picture which Word 2007 recognizes as a LINK. This is important for us, because the company I work for automatically creates LINKs in Word and PowerPoint, and they need to be inserted as Objects, yet displayed as pictures, not displayed as icons or filenames. We're not going to change the way we do this, by inserting a Picture instead of an Object. What we need to know is: Why does it work on some installs of Word 2007 and not others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom