Limited or No Internet Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumblebee Tuna

In Runtime
I have a problem with my PC. I can't connect to the internet. I've checked network connections and it says that I have no, or limited network connection. I've used the same cable on another PC and it works fine. I've tried pinging the PC, and I successfully ping it. I can't ping any domain names, like yahoo. I know that there is a bunch of spyware and the like on there. I've been able to use spyware removal tools; but of course I can't get the updated versions off the internet. I also (obviously) can't check for viruses at the moment. Any suggestions?

have you tried other friend's PC's in the area?

Shaw Internet might be limiting your bandwidth, or you may have not signed up for high-speed.

no, that has nothing to do with it. I have a router and have never had a problem connecting four PC's at once to the internet.

Limited or no connectivity

Is there any sort of software firewall Ie. NIS, Mcafee Per. Firewall, Zone Alarm. If so disable. Windoxs XP firewall should not cause a problem.

Run a Winsock Fix, download from MajorGeeks.

Ensure TCP/IP settings are cleared and not set to a static IP address.

Are other computers able to connect on the router? If so then things should be working properly. If not you make want to check your router settings to ensure that its properly configured.

yah, make sure you are not using a static ip address.

check your ip settings...go into the command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" make sure dhcp is enabled and that dhcp server, dns server, default gateway is your router's ip address.

u can try a simple troubleshoot by typing "ipconfig /release" to release that ip address and "ipconfig /renew" to get a new ip address

Hey Thanks for the help. But I tried all that ;) Anyways, I did managed to get the internet back up and running. I decided to run a chkdsk /r through the recovery console. Once finished I rebooted and was able to connect to the internet just fine. Something obviously corrupted something. So I'm going to run all the standard virus checks and spyware scans. Thanks so much for the help :) If something else occurs, I'll post another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom