a lil' SP2 question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRoWZ

In Runtime
I just wanted to know if the the service pack 2 firewall is enough? or would i have to install another firewall like zonealarm.

Browz,

Windows sp2 seems to have a good firewall,but Iam fraid its not enough. You wont have much options in using sp2 firewall.

Get Zonealarm, yea, its very good.

Sign
Codes

The SP2 firewall is great, but having just one line of defence is never a good idea. Plus, unless you really know a lot about how firewalls work, many of the advanced features of the SP2 firewall can be a bit tricky to get under control.

You're best off having at least a 3rd party product running (like ZoneAlarm), and definately don't forget your anti-virus and spyware software, too. Firewalls don't protect you from everything.

And as a last note, if you do use the SP2 firewall (which I do recommend) I would highly suggest you read the basic documentation about it, as it's full of neat stuff you should know. Just like any firewall, you should know how to use it.

You can get a free firewall from downloads.com. Sygate and Zonealarm both offer free firewalls there.

I wouldn't trust a firewall by Microsoft...PROBABLY FULL OF FLAWS! Just use a free one, even that would better than the new XP firewall.

-Dan The Man

I wouldn't trust a firewall by Microsoft...PROBABLY FULL OF FLAWS!

ha ha..lol :) , but sp2 is pretty gud, not that 'bad'.! Microsoft have the best programmers working on their products, its just there wide usage that makes it vulnerable to attacks.

Sign
Codes

We're running SP2's firewall at work, and so far it hasn't missed anything. In fact, since installing it, we've had less problems company-wide than before, with a dramatic decrease in Windows-specific attacks (worms/viruses). ZoneAlarm has yet to raise a finger at anything.

cool, thanks for all the reply's, i'll get zonealarm. i will also see what i can do with the xp firewall.

Yes the firewall in Microsoft Service Pack 2 should be enough to protect your computer. However, it is a good idea to run a 3rd party firewall in addition to this. Like others have mentioned, ZoneAlarm offers outstanding security at no cost whatsoever.

To test your security, I highly reccomend paying a visit to www.grc.com and performing the Shields Up test. This will help determine whether or not you are vulnerable to Internet attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom