'light' Vista, and keeping/moving settings from OS to OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter_ming

Baseband Member
hi all,

I just installed and tried using Vista Ultimate for the first time, and I have not done any tricks and tweaks on it. I'm used to tweak XP's msconfig to run a lighter XP with limited background services and start ups, is this also viable on Vista?

Also, is there anyway we can save software settings so that if we move to another OS we just need to install the software and then import the settings and such? I'm talking about Firefox (bookmarks), Thunderbird (account set up, and inbox content), i-Tunes (library-wise), among other things.

Any input/tricks will be much appreciated.

I just installed and tried using Vista Ultimate for the first time, and I have not done any tricks and tweaks on it. I'm used to tweak XP's msconfig to run a lighter XP with limited background services and start ups, is this also viable on Vista?
Yup, same command and works in the same way. Just search 'msconfig' in the search bar in the Start menu. I prefer using CCleaner for that though.

Also, is there anyway we can save software settings so that if we move to another OS we just need to install the software and then import the settings and such? I'm talking about Firefox (bookmarks), Thunderbird (account set up, and inbox content), i-Tunes (library-wise), among other things.
There are plugins that I use such as Foxmarks for Firefox, which backup your bookmarks, saved passwords etc. to a server. Very handy in case you get a nasty virus and you have to do a reinstall. I believe Thunderbird has a built-in tool for transferring accs+email and such, I don't know about iTunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom