Licensing Issue... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2005, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Licensing Issue...

A friend of mine wanted to upgrade his machines at his office so he went to dell's website and bought 15 dimension 8400 machines with windows home on them. Well...he uses active directory at the office and did not realize that home did not support active directory. To remedy the situation he wants to either ship the machines back to buy xp pro computers, buy an upgrade, or completly get rid of the active directory all together. There are 15 machines. In everyones opinion, what is the best method to take care of this?

Old 05-17-2005, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s
Send a message via MSN to office politics

contact dell see if you can swap. you want to get pcs with pro on it.

Old 05-17-2005, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Field Engineer
Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

Purchase XP Pro Corp. (I dont know if they sell this). Corp does not need to be activated and is pretty much open licensed.
A+, Network + , HP Certified Tech and MCP

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 05-17-2005, 03:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Wow, no offense to you, but yer friend's an idiot. Didn't he read anything or even wonder why one is called "Home" and the other "Professional"?

Anyway, he should call DELL and explain the situ to them and see what they can do. They'll probably laugh their heads off, and when they're done, they'll likely have him send things back (hardware or software or both). They're likely not going to just send him software because that'll be a risk for breach of license.

Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 05-17-2005, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Blitze105 Send a message via Yahoo to Blitze105

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I suggest getting new machines with windows xp pro. Dell will probably not mind switching, or giving him his money back as long as the computers are still in good shape.
I'm Forgetful! so if i stop posting on something that i was helping you with... PM me or IM me
yahoo and aol: blitze105
you can always IM or PM me if i offend you as well, i will edit the post if i have.
Closed Thread