Let me try another approach..

Status
Not open for further replies.

takezo3001

Baseband Member
I'm sorry about my last thread, it was kinda tense, and curt...But I have been triing this for awhile now, with no luck!
Again I appologise for my despirate tone in my last thread.

I am using a crummy duron 700mhz win 981rst ED, as my main backup computer..I have no other access to my main machine..
To top it off, I'm using a dual boot 98/win2k Pro setup.
My win 2k PRO is 100% inoperable due to a corrupt file.
I CANNOT repair it because I lost my admin pass, I already tried repairing it using the search funtion option with my win2k install disk, and that will never work!

The ONLY option left to me is to do a complete reinstall, of which I CANNOT reformatt
{Burning120gb of info on a 700mb CD with a slow @$$ system would take too long, as you could imagine!}
All of my HDD are full to capacity..28gb+120gb

The only option to me Is to do a uninstall using this method:

EXAMPLE:

[A] Windows 2000 on the different FAT or FAT32 partition as Windows 95/98
1. Boot to Windows 95/98 [with win9x boot disk]
2. Type sys c: in MS-DOS prompt
3. remove boot.ini, bootsect.dos, ntldr, ntdetect.com and ntbootdd.sys (if exists) from c:\ |<--What do I type in dos?
4. delete pagefile.sys (usually on c |<--What do I type in dos?
5. delete hiberfil.sys (if exists |<--What do I type in dos?)
6. Delete winnt directory (the directory you installed Windows 2000) |<--What do I type in dos?
7. Delete Documents and Settings directory |<--What do I type in dos?
8. delete Program Files directory |<--What do I type in dos?
9. delete temp directory |<--What do I type in dos?

I also have the info on how to disable/delete the installation file, everythings covered except what dos commands do I use?
I NEVER used dos commands, I do not have a working knowlege of them...I'm sure someone has done a reinstallation of a dual-boot with win 98/2k pro, I'm pleading with you to share your info with me!

I'm tired of 98's blue screen! I swear when I get my 300gb..I'll never use 98 again!

.....98SE however is another story!

Okay lets see if i can figure this out with you. 1. Is the hard drive partition between 98 and 2000 or are they installed on the same partition? 2. Have you tried to use the help command in DOS to see if it will give you the list of commands? This might be more help than anything.
Okay now onto your questions...
3. If you remove the boot.ini file i dont think you will be able to get back into windows. Not sure if this is the same in 98 as it is in XP. You would have better luck editing the boot.ini file to remove the 2000 boot. As for the rest i believe that the DOS command for delete is DEL. Not positive but i believe. I also think that if you remove the ntldr you cant get back into Windows. So i dont think this option will work.
6. I believe this would just be C: Del /winnt Again i would double check the DOS help file to make sure that it is correct.
7. Cant delete this item since both 98 and 2000 use it.
8. Cant do this either since both 98 and 2000 install applications there.

The only other option is to figure out what the corrupt file is and try to replace it. That way maybe 2000 can be recovered. I dont know if this helped but all i can say is that i tried. To get the list of help commands just type in help /all. I believe that is the correct command. It has been about 7 years or so since i used DOS so i am not totally positive on the commands but that is what i remember.

YOU ARE GOD!

THANKS ALOT!!! I really apreciate this! I am a dos n00000b, and that menu You just gave me will help out immeasurably!
*Copied, and pasted as we speak!

Makaveli213 said:
Okay lets see if i can figure this out with you. 1. Is the hard drive partition between 98 and 2000 or are they installed on the same partition?

No, I at least had my wits about me to do a dual-boot on 2 drives, that way I'd still be able to use my back-up piece-o-crap as I am now!

Originally posted by Makaveli213 2. Have you tried to use the help command in DOS to see if it will give you the list of commands? This might be more help than anything.

Mine own paranoia prohibited me from further dos corruption! :D :D ;) The ONLY reason for me keeping this archaic 98 1rst ed, !} It was nstalled along with an even more archaic Motherboard..."Ameritrends" circa 1911.AD.....Further, I NEED my UW1-2! ;)

Originally posted by Makaveli213 Okay now onto your questions...
3. If you remove the boot.ini file i dont think you will be able to get back into windows. Not sure if this is the same in 98 as it is in XP. You would have better luck editing the boot.ini file to remove the 2000 boot. As for the rest i believe that the DOS command for delete is DEL. Not positive but i believe. I also think that if you remove the ntldr you cant get back into Windows. So i dont think this option will work.
6. I believe this would just be C: Del /winnt Again i would double check the DOS help file to make sure that it is correct.
7. Cant delete this item since both 98 and 2000 use it.
8. Cant do this either since both 98 and 2000 install applications there.

The only other option is to figure out what the corrupt file is and try to replace it. That way maybe 2000 can be recovered. I dont know if this helped but all i can say is that i tried. To get the list of help commands just type in help /all. I believe that is the correct command. It has been about 7 years or so since i used DOS so i am not totally positive on the commands but that is what i remember.

Hell, You know a helluvalot more than me, and again, You helped me out IMMEASURABLY Thanks very much, I humbly recount my frustrated response and appologise!

BTW: I cannot recover the Win 2k install, as I said I **lost/forgot My admin pass, and I just KNOW I have it somewhere burried98's search funtions are useless!...Worst comes to worse I'll be buyin' a new HDD soon enough,Copy-->Format--> Reinstall!

**{Not forgot, as much as I have Too many variations to accurately remember!}

derrmc said:

No so, anymore!...I guess I AM an addict, I spent ALOT of the holiday at these, forums, and the like!

Looks like I'll "UN-thank" You guys for nothing! :D

Well if you look around these forums you might find a topic about password recovery. I think there has been a topic or 2 on it. I am almost positive that there is a way to recover you admin password. If not let me know and i will search and see if i can come up with any answers for you.

As for the rest ot if. Sorry that no one else was able to help you on this matter. It was fortunate that i was here at the time and saw this and tried to help. You said it helped and that is good to hear.

That is good to hear. We are friendly and try our best to help everyone. I have had more than my fair share of expreience from the past dozen or so years so i do remember the times of Win98.

My condolences! :D ;)

I will however, install my win 982nd ED though, A bit more stable..And I NEED to play my TES Arena,daggerfall, and UW1-2
I'm also a graphic artist, composer(Digital)So for a crash-free system win2k {Serv pk 4!!}Pro all the way!

BTW: Thanks for havin' me here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom