Is this a legal work around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
32-bit OS can recognize and use 4gb of memory. Roughly 512mb will be reserved by the OS for certain things and might not be visible. But it's all there.

A 32-bit key works with 64-bit as well. This was verified by Mak, the resident Windows Guru.It might be different for OEM license keys, I'm not sure. You can download the 64-bit edition of your OS and try the key out.

As for the workaround I have no idea, there might be a thread about it somewhere here...

ALso check the maximum RAM your laptop holds. It could very well max out at 2 or 4 gig, which would mean the 64 bit OS would be pointless from a RAM capacity perspective.

32-bit OS can recognize and use 4gb of memory. Roughly 512mb will be reserved by the OS for certain things and might not be visible. But it's all there.

A 32-bit key works with 64-bit as well. This was verified by Mak, the resident Windows Guru.It might be different for OEM license keys, I'm not sure. You can download the 64-bit edition of your OS and try the key out.

As for the workaround I have no idea, there might be a thread about it somewhere here...

I am aware of the ~3.5GB usage. The only issue is my total memory will be 5GB (video/physical), so only ~2.5GB of my RAM would be used.

ALso check the maximum RAM your laptop holds. It could very well max out at 2 or 4 gig, which would mean the 64 bit OS would be pointless from a RAM capacity perspective.

I probably wasn't clear in the OP, but I am buying an Asus Laptop that comes equipped with 4GB DDR2 and a 1GB 9650M GT already... so it definitely holds at least 4GB of RAM.

Here is the laptop:
Newegg.com - ASUS N50 Series N50Vn-X1B NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P8600(2.40GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 4GB Memory 250GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9650M GT - Laptops / Notebooks

I know what you mean surge, but what i was saying is that if it can only hold 4 gig ram total, then you probably should go 32 bit anyways if we are talking XP. I haven't heard great things about 64 bit XP.

You may be thinking about onbaord video which will use some of the system ram. A video card has it's own ram that is separate from system ram.

The ram on the video card is not relevant to how much ram vista 32bit can utilize.

Yes Video RAM is relevant. It is included in the total RAM that a system can use with Windows. It is explained in the 32 Bit vs 64 Bit thread.

Also Surge, to use a upgrade disc as a full install disc is not technically a legal workaround. It is acknowledged by Microsoft that you can do it. But it is not supported or considered legal to use a upgrade disk as a full install disk.

I apologize. Thank you for correcting me Mak. The 32bit vs 64bit thread was not super clear about the video ram but I found corroborating articles. A day without learning in not a day well spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom