Legal way of applying hotfixes + tools + documentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheElise

Baseband Member
Hi all,

I am looking to create a unatended install of winxp sp2 with all hot fixes included. However i have noticed that legally tools like nlite may pose questions? and as i will not be doing this for my own use it is to install on multiple pc's throughout a gov organisation is there a legal way of doing this (Do microsoft allow me to do this?) and is there a tool and documentation proving that this is legal for me to do without any issues from MS etc etc etc.

I do not want to alter the OS in any way at all i just want to add the hotfixes to save time but i need legal documentation to prove i am allowed to do this other wise i can not implament this on the site? i have looked at nlite as i mentioned above and as i read as it may alter dll files it is not strictly "Legal" ???? i will keep looking and digging but i was hoping if someone else has encountered this before they could point me to the right location so i can get this implamented as its a pain in the arse updating all these machines after i build them. unatended - uptodate - walkaway.

Cheers

sorry for the double post but am i right in thinking that the hotfixes are located in the "c:\windows\$hf_mig$\whatever hot fix is" directory?

You need to set up image files that are hosted on the network...
You then need to set up answer files.

Don't host the image on a DC by the way.... not a good idea.

Hi,

Cheers for the reply, i am ok in creating the disc and issuing this out to the site i dont have a problem there, its just finding documentation regarding the legalitys of installing the hotfixes and finding a tool that will install them legally for me so i can create a cd with winxp sp2 and all hotfixes, i have already created my answer file "winnt.cif" for the unatended install and have the hotfix directorys on this pc and want them intagrated into a new CD so i can pop in the cd and it does not need to do a windows update.

Ill read those links though and thanks for the reply.

ok, maybe i am not making this ver clear, i appologise if i am not. When we create an image yes it does contain the hotfixes, however i am not talking about making an image i am talking about creating my own windows xp sp2 disc "CD" Now according to microsofts EULA you are not entitled to modify windows in any way by copying the CD to your HDD and inserting a hotfix this modifys windows there fore breaking the EULA. HOWEVER i am convinced that microsoft would not grumble if i did this however i do need verification before i do this in a government building as they will not allow change without verification?

I do hope this is clear in what i am trying to get accross?

So i have a corp version of winxp, i can make a unatended install using sysprep and can pop the cd in the pc and walk away. windows will install. then i need to run automatic updates to update the pc. however i dont want to do this as it is time consuming, so i want to legally add the hotfixes into my cd so i need not run the updates. however doing this with legal tools is difficult because even nlite states it is not really legaly sounds as it does break microsofts eula so can this be done legally, and is there any documentation that anyone knows of that says you can legally add hotfixes to a cd and that microsoft are not bothered about it or shall i just email them and get conformation from them? i was only asking just incase anyone had created a slipstreamed cd with all updates for there work place and if so how did they go about the legalities as according to microsofts EULA if you have a modify there vindows cd etc etc you are breaking the agreement. I know strictly speaking this is allowed but i need to be able to prove this and not just say, "yeah its allowed". I dont think for one minute that MS would complain but i need verification from somewhere and a legal tool to do it as nlite strictly speaking is not according to its own confessions.

like i said above i believe misrosoft would not mind, i could do it with nlite, i would not normally be bothered about checking if i am breaking the eula but as this is a government organisation and they will not allow me to modify the cd unless i can prove i am not in breach of any agreements (which i cant as i cant find any documentation stating ots is ok to copy, modify and reproduce a windows xp cd (because strickly speaking it is not)) but in these types of occasions i dont htink microsoft would be bothered but i cant find a statement saying "do not copy our cd's unless its to install a hotfix etc etc etc" if i cant find it then legally its against the law and we \i will be unable to reproduce a slipstreamed cd with hotfixes intagrated.

clear as mud

;-)

sorry for spelling but its late, im tored, its dark, and im sat in the most bizarre position and im on my wireless keyboard and the batterys are nearly dead... ;-) and my spelling in general is utter pish.

Cheers in advance to anyone who can help me out on this one.

Ok yeah I missunderstood.... I appologize.
I do think that according to the Eula, they wouldn't take to kindly to that. However, I saw that you have a corp version. Do you have a MS sponsor/rep ? They would be good to talk to. If not, I would definetly talk to Microsoft about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom