Learning my computer.

thekaz

Solid State Member
I just recently started teaching myself about computers, or trying. :p and was hoping to learn a thing or two about maintenance and safety.

My question is; is there anything else I could do other than run a scanner to check to see if my comp is infected in any way. A sort of sure fire way to find problems? Or routine things I could do to maintain my system's performance?

All comments are appreciated, and thanks in advance :)

If you're using Windows -Set up Automatic updates, by right clicking my computer, left click the automatic update tap & checking the automatic update box & setting a time. defrag your hard drive & delete Temporary files, by left clicking start, programs, accessories, system tools & choosing what you want to do. I'd also recomend downloading cCleaner from filehippo (a virus free download site) and use the registry cleaner. These along with regular scans by your virus protection program, should keep your pc up & running.

There really is no way to check if our computer is infected without running scans with protection software like Microsoft Security Essentials or Malwarebytes Antimalware. The paid version of MBAM (Malwarebytes Antimalware) has active protection that will check files as they are downloaded, but as stated it is a pay per use solution. It is the best piece of software I have personally found to check to see if files are infected when they are downloaded.

The other thing you can do is search for online scanners. These sites allow you to post a link to a file and it will check that file for you to let you know if it is safe to download. While it is an extra step, if you are looking to stay protected, this is something you could consider instead of purchasing MBAM. But other than that you really dont have any way without running a scan of some sort to know if your PC is infected.

That is the only sure fire way I know of. Being one of the few people on the site who do virus removal help, I always recommend MBAM to users when they say they have an infection. I also point them toward HiJack This. You can read tutorials online on how to use that software so you can try to teach yourself, but it is always good to have someone else read the logs it generates to know more for sure.

As far as system maintenance, aside from running clean manager to clean up unused files the only other thing I can suggest is the use of ChkDsk if you see a problem. A system disk defrag is a good idea, but few people realize that Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 all do this by default once the system reaches a certain fragmentation percentage. So really the system is already doing this for you every so often. But some still choose to run O&O Defrag or Defraggler to defrag their drives manually. Some say these tools are a bit better than the built in Windows one, but honestly I havent had any issue with letting Windows take care of this aspect itself.

Really if you keep your system clean of temp files and make sure your not infected, your system performance should be maintained at a level that is acceptable.

I normally do defrags about once a month and the current antivirus I use are Malware( got me out of a fix once) and AVG. The latter was recommended to me by my father. I also read once that updating Windows too frequently was actually detrimental to optimum performance. I don't know for my self. If it's not why is that?

Thanks again.

Updating Windows patches security holes. That is why they send updates. The majority of critical windows updates are as stated critical.

Defragmenting option in the system would improve the performance of the system. It usually found in the start menu.

I normally do defrags about once a month and the current antivirus I use are Malware( got me out of a fix once) and AVG. The latter was recommended to me by my father. I also read once that updating Windows too frequently was actually detrimental to optimum performance. I don't know for my self. If it's not why is that?

Thanks again.
Sorry to be so late in replying. I had some personal issues I had to deal with. I agree with the other guys who commented. Updating, esp. Windows security files, Service Packs, & Drivers are essential. Updating is like replacing outdated things on your car, before they quit working. Defraging, deleting Temp files & cleaning your registry I do weekly. Every person has preferences as to what they like or dislike. I'm just expressing what works for me. 32 bit Win. XP Home Edition running Mozilla Firefox.

Thanks everybody. I hope to learn a good amount about computers as a whole. hopefully I'll be of some help to somebody else someday :D

Back
Top Bottom