Learning from the Blue Screen of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runfox

In Runtime
Hello everyone, so glad I found this forum with so much experience and information. I have built computers and worked on them since Win 3.1, I know some things but not always enough. My computer, gave me the BSoD the other day, so I had to reinstall windows XP and all the related pains that entails. I normally do a reformat/ install occasionally to keep things running smooth, but it's a pain when you aren't expecting it.

So I'm trying to decide what is the best way to back up Windows XP so I can recover from the death screen and not have to do the whole reformat/ install until I decide to , not when my computer decided to. Windows recovery not worth the bother. MY friend installed Acronis true Image on my machine before, and I was not liking it, and like a dummy reformatted and reinstalled windows with out it. Now I wish I had not done that as I would have been able to reinstall the image real easy.

So what do you all use or do? I'm thinking I'll try Acronis again if I can find a copy and figure how to install it all my self.

There is very few reasons to format reinstall when you get a BSoD. Sometimes it is something as simple as a driver update. I have a ton of information in the sticky threads.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/decoding-stop-errors-193078/
http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-troubleshoot-specific-stop-errors-193301/

You could easily just image the drive. Use FOG, CloneZilla or one of the many other tools and make a complete drive image. So you just put the image back on. No need for all the muss and fuss.

I guess it was my ignorance and desperation that led to reformat/ install. I could not get windows past the blue screen and didn't not know where to find info on the error codes, but now that I have found this forum and help from all of you, I should be in better shape now.

I got a question about the BSoD. When I got mine I couldn't even start windows in safe mode. So If I find out what the code means , how do you go about repairing the problem or updating anything if you can't get into windows?? OK bear with me , I'm still learning. I need to add the Windows Recovery Console as a start up option right? Then learn how to use it. Still sounds like a limited option. I think disk image will be the best way to recover.

Well it depends on the code given. You dont need the Recovery Console at startup cause you can use it from the CD. It all depends on what the code is. Can always try Last Know Good Boot Config.

If Safe Mode is not a option there are other things to do, again all depending on what the BSoD code is.

Have you tried creating an image? It makes re-installs so much easier and if your just re-formatting anyway your not worrying about data loss, i guess. With the image you can have all your stuff basically restored (minus any un-saved/un-backed-up docs or pics, etc). But all your programs and apps, cna be on an image. Acronis is good.

Yeah I installed Acronis True Image, it looks like a great program, I like the prompt on boot which gives you access to restore right there. I think I wont be stuck with a BSoD again.

I have a similar problem with my Father in laws HP Omnibook Win XP Pro. I have the screen mentioned above but slightly different there is no code and screen isn't blue. I also can't access any of the modes including Last known good conf. They all just freeze when I click them most of the time, sometimes after clicking it will just reboot although I have been able to get the safe mode with prompt to at least begin to work but then freeze.

This means I cannot get into windows at all. So any fix will have to be done from the comfort (yeah right) of the prompt. He can't find his XP disk but I used mine to try to repair it. It did run but when I tried Auto recov, and R they did not work but I just found out to try that repair fix after agreement. I know the files are still there because I did a dir list and everything seems to be there so disk is working. A chkdsk found some problems but I'll try to fix them tomorrow. Oh I did get it to start to load Win, meaning I get the logo but it will not go into Win XP. Thanks

Now I did the repair from I agree area and it didn't copy a bunch of dm files including some .dll. So it didn't repair it, now what?

i have 2 laptops, and my old xp laptop does that sometimes

i was curious - the techs at bestbuy (geek squad), stated the motherboard is messed up

however, I can still use my XP computer, and sometimes it will give me a BSOD message, in which I simply restart, and everything is money again on the machine

so what is the deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom