Latest Nvidia Update Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulquiorra Schiffer

In Runtime
I started up Windows 7, updated Nvidia, and it made my right clicking slow and reduced my DxDiag information from 3GB to 500MB. So I uninstalled the drivers updated by Windows, restarted my computer, and installedthe latest driver from the Nvidia site. Same result. Should I just stick with the older version of the Nvidia driver?

when I run dxdiag it says Approx. Total Memory 3819 (and I have 2-GTX 280's also). I have 2GB of actual graphics memory and Vista is allocating a certain pertcentage of system ram incase more is needed. So depending on your settings and what your doing that Approx. Total Memory can change.

When you went to Nvidia what file did you download? 185.85 or 186.08?
185.85 is the WHQL driver and the 186.08 is a Beta Driver they just released last week.

Have you checked with Alienware to see if they have any bios updates for your mobo?
When you installed Windows 7 did you load any chipset drivers afterwards? If so, I hope you didn't use the setup cd that came with your mobo. Try these.
Intel Chipset Software Installation 9.1.0.1014 WHQL download from Guru3D.com

And you need to remember that Windows7 isn't final yet and somethings may not work correctly on every PC.

You said that it may be Windows 7, so I said this has happened to Windows Vista before. I didn't mean that is the current problem. So yes, I'm still using Windows 7.

Also, how did you get to that page?

Just installed the new update... 500MB still. However, the right clicking speed has gone back to normal. So that's half of the job.

Okay first you already posted about this YESTERDAY.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/what-do-i-update-209295/

Please dont make multiple topics on the same issue.

2nd there hasnt been a update to the nvidia drivers released by Windows Update in some time. The last update released was in the middle of May.

So first you have to remember 2 things.

1. win7 is a BETA. Not everything is functioning correctly.
2. The drivers are a BETA. Which means that they might not be functioning properly.

So using Beta drivers with a Beta OS can result is things not reading correctly. I have had win7 read my RAM as 4GB when i only have 3GB installed. Consult the nvidia site to see if they have this listed as a known bug and if not report it to them. they created the drivers they are responsible to fix them.

Yes, I understand, and I'm sorry for causing you trouble. I guess I'll let things unfold as time goes by and things are going onto a final release. It's a good thing I listened to you and other users about not using Windows 7 as a primary operating system. I'm dual booting it with Windows Vista 64-bit, so whenever I'm having trouble with Windows 7 I can just switch back.

Hmm... on Windows 7, when I change my refresh rate to 60Hz, it goes back to 59Hz. I have no problem switching to 60Hz on Windows Vista. Is this one of Windows 7's problems?

Well the thing is that there are so many factors.

Are you sure that SLi is workign properly?
Are you sure that they can get DX11 working properly?
Are you sure it is not a bug in Win7 or with the drivers cause of DX11?

I just checked mine and my DXDiag shows me having a 2GB card when i have a 1GB card. I have the latest Beta drivers from nvidia from May 2009 for Win7. they are even newer than the latest stable release posted on their site.

driver.png

So as you see there are still quite a few quirks left.

Yes the 60Hz is a known bug. I have reported it myself. All i got was "It is fixed in a later build" which i have yet to see.

Okay, so I shouldn't really worry about it that much? Now I'm starting to understand why a beta shouldn't be a primary operating system. Although on a different web site a lot of people were telling me to use it as my primary operating system, I still didn't feel that great about that idea and went with the dual booting.

I use it as a primary. But the thing is you have to understand it has its quirks still. It is not perfect and it still has growing pains to go through. Which is why it is called a Release Candidate not the Release to Manufacturing.

A Candidate means that there is still things to be found and fixed while RTM means that everything has been fixed.

My first guess would be the DX11. there is something about that right now that is throwing the drivers for a loop. Games run fine and so does everything else. Just DXDiag is off. So if having that be off bugs you that much, stick with Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom