Last Known Good Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

graffitirebel

Baseband Member
Does restoring to a Last Known Good Configuration erase files/documents created after that restore point? Does it uninstall programs that were installed after the restore point? Or does it just restore the system state (registry)??

this is from the help files for windows xp

System Restore does not cause you to lose your personal files or password. Items like documents, e-mail messages, browsing history, and the last specified password are saved when you revert to an earlier state with System Restore.

System Restore protects your personal files by not restoring any files in the My Documents folder. It also does not restore any files that use common data file name extensions, such as .doc or .xls. If you're not sure whether your personal files use common data file name extensions, and you do not want the data files to be affected by System Restore, save them in the My Documents folder.

If a program was installed after the restore point that you are restoring to was created, the program might be uninstalled as part of the restoration process. Data files that are created with the program are not lost. However, in order to open the files again, you must reinstall the associated program

thanks a lot, the reason i asked is... I installed a program called TweakNow RegCleaner. it finds and deletes obsolete entries to the registry to make startup faster... which it did. but most of my applications were acting a bit weird. The text in the windows was bigger and didn't fit in the windows... see a picture here.
RegCleaner automatically backs up the registry for you, and i tried restoring it from that program... didn't work. so i did it thru windows (Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore..) and everything is back the way i want it. So i guess, if anybody is thinking of using TweakNow RegCleaner, don't.
http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom