Large Excel 07 Workbook Uneditable

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLostBoy

Solid State Member
I have an Excel 2007 workbook with lots of unwanted images & hyperlinks (3.71 mb - A1:M8851) saved in .xlsm format consisting of one worksheet into which I copied & pasted data from a webpage. Now, I cannot do anything without it freezing completely that involves formatting.

I tried a macro to remove all images which locked it completely. Then I ran a macro to remove hyperlinks, which again locked it up (I let it set overnight with no other programs running, hoping it was actually doing something).

Today, I tried just eliminating 2 columns I won't need (data only - no links or images) by selecting them up top & hitting Ctrl + '-' which froze it up again. I shut it down & opened it again (didn't let Excel recover it), then went into a column w/ no images or links & a very small amount of data & just hit "delete". It cleared the data pretty quickly, but I then selected just those rows in the column (rather than the entire column) and tried Ctrl+ '-', and it froze up again.

Any suggestions? I have data I need to add and work with in there, but all I'm trying to do now is get rid of the excess stuff I don't want or need so it'll run quicker without these problems.

My only suggestion would be when pasting data into Excel, double click the cell you want to paste the inforation into - this way ONLY the text will be pasted and not the hyperlink (it will also paste instentaneously opposed to resizing the cell and placing the text in your default font and size instead of making it large and bulky).

My only suggestion would be when pasting data into Excel, double click the cell you want to paste the inforation into - this way ONLY the text will be pasted and not the hyperlink (it will also paste instentaneously opposed to resizing the cell and placing the text in your default font and size instead of making it large and bulky).
The entire worksheet was populated with one big paste operation - by double-clicking A1 then pasting, would that still allow me to paste the entire sheet minus the formatting and links?

ON EDIT: Nevermind - I just tried & found the answer to my own question is "no".

Yup, you can't.

But in pasting, okay if you want to paste an entire website or something similar, click paste special under the home ribbon and paste just text. Then with every paragraph break on the page Excel will put that into a different row.

Doing that lost the spread sheet format for some reason (web page is a spread sheet itself) and pasted everything into a single column.

I figured it out though - I copied 3 columns at a time from my spread sheet into a new workbook and ran the macro to delete all hyperlinks; none of the images carried over that way, so I'm guessing they were just transposed on the page rather than being embedded in a cell? I don't know if that's the right terminology but I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at... Bottom line is the new work book works like it should!

Now I could use some help w/ a macro, but will start a new thread. Thanks for your help though! Your suggestions about different ways of copying / pasting got the wheels turning...

ON EDIT: New subject - started new thread instead of hijacking my own here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom