Laptop, windows 7, or Hardware/driver issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burnt copy? Do I smell the old "got it from a friend"?

Not necessarily. Cause i have no "Official" DVD myself. I only have burnt copies downloaded from Microsoft. So dont go jumping to conclusions that just cause he says burnt copy that it is automatically a pirated copy. As there was Digital Distribution available for Win7 and it was more widely used than the actual media itself. Digital River and Microsoft teamed up for the Student copies that were downloaded and used with the USB Tool.

So in fact i would say that there is more than a 80% chance that the method used to get Win7 is via ISO form and downloaded from some source. Now the validity of the source is another thing. But we cant jump to conclusions. We must ask first.

I would say that is definately the issue. The one that was backed up was not made for this system. So of course your going to get all of these issues. The hardware doesnt match and the drivers dont match. Get a better copy of the Win7 Upgrade Disk and start the process over. Sorry i know it stinks, but that is what must be done to fix this. Win7 doesnt have a repair feature.

Not necessarily. Cause i have no "Official" DVD myself. I only have burnt copies downloaded from Microsoft. So dont go jumping to conclusions that just cause he says burnt copy that it is automatically a pirated copy. As there was Digital Distribution available for Win7 and it was more widely used than the actual media itself. Digital River and Microsoft teamed up for the Student copies that were downloaded and used with the USB Tool.

So in fact i would say that there is more than a 80% chance that the method used to get Win7 is via ISO form and downloaded from some source. Now the validity of the source is another thing. But we cant jump to conclusions. We must ask first.

I would say that is definately the issue. The one that was backed up was not made for this system. So of course your going to get all of these issues. The hardware doesnt match and the drivers dont match. Get a better copy of the Win7 Upgrade Disk and start the process over. Sorry i know it stinks, but that is what must be done to fix this. Win7 doesnt have a repair feature.

Digital Distribution FTW imo.

I'll deff. try the Upgrade disk when i get the chance. Schools been crazy and i have other projects im doing!

Thanks Mak!

Hope its cool if i piggy back on the topic but i'm having similar issues with my acer 3680...a friend upgraded it form vista to win7 and the drivers from the manufacturer doesnt work with win7...is there any other way around the issue
i also know it not a genuine copy because a window popped up stating so....will that as well cause more issues later down the line

Just don't hump us :p

The genuine crap will sometimes buzz you when you add new hardware. Even on a legit copy.

You should always run the hardware compatibility check before upgrading. Though 90% of drivers for Vista work fine in 7.

Lol no probs...but when i try to download/save the driver files once i try to execute and run it it gives me an error saying "could not find OS specific setup program"

Hope its cool if i piggy back on the topic but i'm having similar issues with my acer 3680...a friend upgraded it form vista to win7 and the drivers from the manufacturer doesnt work with win7...is there any other way around the issue
i also know it not a genuine copy because a window popped up stating so....will that as well cause more issues later down the line

Sadly there isnt a way around it. If the drivers aren't made for Win7 there is no real way to force them to work. Some drivers check the OS to make sure that they are being installed with the right OS. That seems to be the case.

Yes that can cause you serious issues with it not being genuine. Cause any updates put out will not be patched. If they are some serious flaws, you can leave yourself wide open to numerous infections or worse someone taking over your PC completely. I would seriously look into getting a genuine copy as it will only benefit you.

Oh ok then...well I have xp on my desktop..is there a way to copy that OS and load it on my laptop or do i have to buy the new OS system disk

There is no way to copy the OS from your desktop. That is an OEM copy and cant be used on another machine. It is against the EULA (End User License Agreement) of Windows. For a good read about the differences check out this thread.

Your best option is to either restore Vista to that laptop or to buy Win7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom