Laptop Random Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelm3103

Fully Optimized
So like, recently I noticed that my laptop comes on at random times :umm:. This only happens when it's in standby though, so is there any settings that may cause my laptop to just boot up from standby?

It's closed down, then all of a sudden its booted/wakened while closed. Then I have to open it and manually shutdown or put back into standby.

Edit: Not totally sure if this is to be posted within the Laptop Forum or here, since I'm not certain if its pertaining to laptops only or a setting within Windows. Move freely if it belongs elsewhere :).

You mean, BIOS. Also look in Device Manager at your network devices. If you have wired and wireless, go to the power save tab on each and uncheck everything in there.

WOL has nothing to do with this situation. Wake On LAN would only be affected if it went into sleep mode. Standby can be woken by just a simple movement of the mouse. So this "random" effect could someone just stomping heavily around the laptop to force the touchpad to think it got a response, move an external mouse that is connected to it, or could just wake cause the Windows Update interface is checking for updates, Virus scanner running, or just about anything that requires the PC to be on and active at the time to operate.

I know of this cause I have the same issue. My mouse is so sensitive that I have to literally flip it over at night or my PC will wake up anytime someone walks around the house. Instead of toning down the sensitivity, I flip it over so that it doesnt move and wake my PC.

Can't you also set your keyboard, mouse, etc, to not wake the system? In Device Manager.

Yet again the system is not asleep. It is in standby. There is a difference. If you set the system to not have the devices take it out of standby, how do you propose that a person gets it out of standby? Pressing the power button will force shut down or possibly force hibernation depending on what they have set for that option. So at that point they would have a system that is in standby that they cant get out. Would be against the whole point if that was done. Wouldnt be able to do anything but force shut down and restart the system every time you had it go into standby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom