Laptop problem, desktop not showing

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildStriker

Solid State Member
Hi, I'm having a problem with my laptop.

Whenever I log in, the desktop is not showing and all I get is a black screen.

This happened just last night while I was on stickam when I lost internet connection. I decided to shut down and log in again to see if my internet connection comes back. But when I logged in, the desktop was not showing and all I get was a window listing all of my documents. From the looks of it I can access my documents, pictures, videos, etc. But other than that, my desktop is missing and all its displaying was a black screen, literally. No desktop background, no start button, no task bar, no internet explorer icon, no trash icon, no my computer icon, everything. I don't know if this is a virus issue, but its very serious.

Does anyone know whats wrong with my laptop? This is quite urgent as I need it for university.

Comments will be appreciated.

This keeps happening every time you log in? Could be a virus, not totally sure. From the sound of what's going on, I would say something ended your "Explorer" process.

Can you start in safe mode?
If yes, can you run a virus scan and see if you found anything?
As other users may suggest, can you see if you can download Malwarebytes from Malwarebytes.org, install, run and post its log.

Also welcome :).

Yha, I think you got bugged.

To try and get explorer back, use the winkey + R then type explorer.exe

I'd definately run malware and hyjackthis and post the logs in the sptware forum.

This keeps happening every time you log in? Could be a virus, not totally sure. From the sound of what's going on, I would say something ended your "Explorer" process.

Can you start in safe mode?
If yes, can you run a virus scan and see if you found anything?
As other users may suggest, can you see if you can download Malwarebytes from Malwarebytes.org, install, run and post its log.

Also welcome :).

I don't know how to use safe mode. And yes, this keeps happening every time I log in. Its been like this since last night when I was on stickam.

The desktop is gone completely (black screen), so no way can I go on the internet. I'm using the school's computer and internet, which is why you see me here now.

I don't know how to use safe mode. And yes, this keeps happening every time I log in. Its been like this since last night when I was on stickam.

The desktop is gone completely (black screen), so no way can I go on the internet. I'm using the school's computer and internet, which is why you see me here now.
Using your school's computer and internet, download the Malwarebytes from the link I listed before.
When starting your PC, before Windows loading screen comes up, hit the F8 key. You should get a list of options to choose how you want to boot your PC. Just choose safe mode.

When the PC boots up in safe mode, install the Malwarebytes and run it, post a log here.

Also as stated by patonb, download HiJackThis and post its log here also. This can downloaded from HijackThis - Trend Micro USA.

I managed to get the desktop back. But theres still a problem. Every time I shut down the laptop and log in, it still gives me a black screen, until I open up the task manager and run explorer.exe to get back the desktop. This may seem like a small problem, but its annoying having to go through this every time.

How can this be fixed?

I managed to get the desktop back. But theres still a problem. Every time I shut down the laptop and log in, it still gives me a black screen, until I open up the task manager and run explorer.exe to get back the desktop. This may seem like a small problem, but its annoying having to go through this every time.

How can this be fixed?
It has a possibility it can be fixed, yes. But the logs are needed; by analyzing the logs (HiJackThis and Malwarebytes), we could detect if there is anything needed to be deleted, what me be affecting your system, extent of damage already done and a possible solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom