Laptop problem........ - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 04:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Laptop problem........

Hello,

Someone I know works for Boots and has a laptop with xp pro, but the version has been cut back to a minimum so not to allow any installations of any kind or to change any settings.

It currently uses a 56k modem to dial up onto the net to allow communication to work/office.

They now have BT broadband in the home and they have been advised to setup the net connection on another pc/laptop then simply connect the 'Boots' laptop to allow a connection to broadband.

I have done this, but still we can’t get a net connection, network properties are not available to view or change.

It is one of those crap BT voyager modem/routers. Would it resolve the problem if I installed a modem/4 port router so that I could connect my laptop, then also connect the 'Boots' laptop?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Kona

Old 10-13-2005, 06:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Can he log in as an admin? Is there an admin at boots or is this a laptop you all got from a company that allready had these settings?

Old 10-13-2005, 06:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

its a laptop provided by Boots the Chemist for the employee to use as a work laptop from home & office, but they wish to use broadband at home.

all the usual features of xp have been disabled or removed, this is done to prevent the employee adding or changing software etc

basically the xp version has been adapted to meet the requirements of its employees and nothing more, thanks
Old 10-13-2005, 06:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

forgot............no admin
Old 10-13-2005, 07:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Amd2800 Send a message via AIM to Amd2800 Send a message via Yahoo to Amd2800

Well thats the problem its a limited account so you cant install nothing on it u need admin account

Dell Studio 1747 Laptop
CPU : Intel I7 - Q720 @ 1.66Ghz - Ram: 4GB Ram DDR3 1333Mhz Dual Channel - Mobo : Dell - HDD: 2x 500GB Sata 2 - OS1: Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Quote:
I want a processor in my brain..... Can i upgrade my ram?

Old 10-13-2005, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

If nessessary you can use an admin password retvial software. But the company may be alittle upset if you do. Your best bet would be to take the laptop to the IT shop of the company, if you have one, and get them to do the update for you.

Now as far as using a router, if your going to use another computer to try and connect into the laptop via a router, your still going to need the admin password. If your going to use the router to connect directly to the broadband then to the laptop you should be able to do it. But it is going to need to create a connection to the router, and if this function is locked out as well then there is nothing you can do.

Another thing to think about is DHCP. Has the NIC that your connecting to the router been configured before? I would think that from the sound of the Boots company, that it is locked out as well. However if it was configured for DHCP, and your router is prior setup for DHCP, then yes you can plug any DHCP enabled device into that router and connect though its connection.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

I can send you a password reset if you would like.