rtn9105, this procedure SHOULD work but then again, you have nothing to lose, right?
This should work. It did once for me (on XP) when my bro forgot his password.
First, does screen saver starts after a few minutes od not touching your computer? It should, and if it does then proceed as following:
I suppose you have access to another computer (you starting this thread).
You will need an Installation CD - Windows XP or Windows 2000.
Prior to doing this, make sure that your Lap Top can boot from CD by checking and, if necessary, setting the boot option to (what a surprise!) CD-ROM.
I have tested the Console activating procedure using Windows 2000 Installation Disk (can't find XP in all these shelve and cables around me).
1. Place Windows XP or 2000 Installation CD into the tray and load it
2. When and if required, press a key to boot from the CD
3. Wait for Preinstallation Enviroment (PE) to load
4. Press "R" to choose second option (Recovery)
5. In the new menu which appears press "C" to choose first option (Console)
6. Choose the Installation Directory options accordingly by entering appropriate number, range from 1 to 24 (Number 1 will probably be the right one)
7. You should be seeing a prompt (something like: "C:\WINDOWS\").
Enter these commands into the console, each followed by Enter/Return key (Use spaces instead of underscores, after every command I have placed an explanation which you, of course won't be typing in):
[Changes directory to System32]
[creates a New Directory named PassHack]
[creates a copy of Logon.scr in PassHack Directory]
[creates a copy of Cmd.exe in PassHack Directory]
[deletes Logon.scr file]
[Renames Cmd.exe file into Logon.scr]
[exits the console and restarts your system]
8. Now, if necessary, enter BIOS again (by pressing usually F2 or Delete/Del key) and change the Boot Option to Hard Disk Drive again as a default.
9. Wait for Windows 2000 to boot and wait for your new "Screen Saver" to start. A similar console will appear, with prompt again ("C:\>").
10. Enter Following: (again, do the same thing with underscores; replace "USERNAME" with the username you said is already inputted and replace "PASSWORD" with your desired password.):
11. Close the console by typing "Exit"
12. Enter the password you just typed in into the "Password" field of Login Dialog.
13. Login and enjoy.
We are the Borg. Resistance is futile.