Laptop partitioning problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

loom91

Beta member
Hi,

I recently bought a HP laptop with Intel Core Duo 1.73 GHz processor, 1GB DDR2 RAM, 100GB HDD and nVidia GO 7400 video card. It came preinstalled with Windows XP Home. But there was a problem. After keeping 10GB for a partition called HP_RECOVERY and 1GB more in a unnamed and hidden partition, the rest is all dumped into a single NTFS partition C.

When I tried to re-size the C partition to a smaller size using PartitionMagic (only 13 GB were in use so there was plenty of free space) the computer rebooted, windows loaded, PM started partitioning and then midway through Checking user entries came up with an error message and aborted. This repeated several times. What can I do to split the drive space into smaller partitions? Thanks a lot.

Molu

Well what version of PM are you using?

Other than PM and maybe a couple of other Partition apps you best choice would be to format and use the XP Disc to partition your HDD. But since you said they have a seperate Partition with HP Recovery i am betting you didnt get a disc.

So you could write down your serial and use a XP downloaded from the net and use your serial with it. But honestly i hate the recovery partition. That other GB or so would probably be for hibernate.

Best bet try to figure out what is going wrong with PM and try to get that resolved first.

I managed to solve the problem myself. Just ran chkdsk, it found a couple of errors in the index (on a brand-new hard drive!) corrected them and then partitioning went fine. Thanks anyway!

Molu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom