In Runtime
k im not sure if this is the best place to put this but here goes

laptop compaq presario 12XL300b

600mhz
64MB RAM
6GB HDD
FDD
CD-ROM

k i have tried installing all the os's at my disposal and nothing works. computer locked up 3-4 years ago and after i finally got it running i put xp on it... that was fun for about 1/2sec then slowwww... it came with ME but would not recognize the recovery disk thingy... so xp it was so now i wiped it again xp is worthless on this computer so i tried ME no, 98 no (says it cant find my hard drive) also its a hp recovery disk and its a compaq so i guess no hope for that one???, 95 no invalid system disk, every linux install that will run on 64 megs of ram and nothing it will not even recognize the linux disks i make??? k WTF? i would like to just get something on this thing so i can use it for... idk word processing, internet forums whatever... i cant even get dos to change the directory from a:\ ... i thought i would try linux just for fun but nothing works so... ideas?

Well most OS's wont install with 6GB of space. At least not any of the current Linux Distros i know of. So you are stuck with a 95 or 98SE install. Since it says invalid system disc i am guessing that you dont have full versions of the OS discs jsut recovery discs. The current Recovery disc wont work cause you cant sue a REcovery disc for ME to try and recovery a XP system.

So unless you can find a Full OS disc i dont think you will have any luck.

**** small linux, puppy linux, i belive xunbuntu also dont all those work with that small of a space? i also cant get any of the live cd OS to run disk is not recognized

They may work but with the install you wont get much of anything installed. Possibly not even the word processing.

But if you cant get them to recognize the drive that is probably cause it is formatted in FAT32. For Linux you need them formatted in ext2. So at that point Ubuntu 7.1 which has GParted or just GParted to try and format the drive.

As for the LiveCD. Well then either your CD drive is gone or you ahve it to boot from the hard drive before it goes to the CD drive. Check the BIOS..

no computer recognizes cd drive just not the install linux disks. says no operatng system found.. basically im trying to install an OS on a blank hard drive and cant get it to...

how do i get an ext2 file system? sorry never used linux but willing to learn. also i need to convert it without using an existing OS cause as i said earlier the drive is blank no dos, no nothing... thanks

also i know this is the windows sub-forum but when i install linux will i be able to transfer files from linux to windows and vice versa? if not i really dont care but just wondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom