Laptop keeps failing to load Windows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlleangelique

Baseband Member
Hello.

I have a Dell Latitude L2 laptop, with WinXP installed.

Last time I had it on, it said a file (I think something in a Photoshop directory) has been corrupted, and to run chkdsk. So, I set it to run chkdsk the next time it loaded.

On starting it up today, it went into chkdsk fine, fixed a few small errors it found... and then came up with a blue screen of death with something along the lines of "high_or_low" or "above_or_below" or something on it.

I turned it off, and back on again, and now every time it loads it comes up with the "Windows did not start successfully" screen; however, whatever I choose it just gets to a certain point (it re-runs chkdsk if either "normal" version is selected, or copies lots of files if a safe mode version is selected) and then restarts. Over and over again.

So no matter what I do, I don't seem to be able to get into Windows. I've tried plugging in a CD drive with a WinXP CD, but it just seems to more or less ignore it. I've tried to enter the bios setup, but I'm not sure I've ever known the password and doubt there's anything I could do in there anyway.

Is there anything I can do? And if there isn't, is it possible to re-install WinXP on it by plugging the hard drive into my main 'pute through a caddy off eBay?

Thanks!

I gave up on there being anything I could do with the laptop and bought a hard drive caddy.

So, now that the laptop's hard drive is connected to the desktop 'pute, is there anything I can change from here that would likely make it start working again? Or, failing that, is it possible to reinstall Windows on it from here, preferably keeping the old settings? Or am I just going to have to copy all the files off it and start again?

I would suggest getting a new HD for your lappy. If you connect the old drive to your desktop and manage to format and install Windows it isn't going to boot in your laptop anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom