LAN Driver Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardmp92

Daemon Poster
Hello,

Had this originally posted in hardware forum, but believe this has turned more into a software/OS problem since I know all the hardware works, but for some reason I can seem to get the LAN driver to work even though I have downloaded and installed it from the Toshiba website.

I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop, L305D-S5874.

I cant get the LAN drop to work and dont see the driver anywhere on the machine...

Thanks!

Do you see it listed in the Device Manager?

Is it disabled in Windows?

Is it disabled in the BIOS?

If you open the network connection, does it show that the NIC is sending and receiving?

Did you try to repair the connection?

Did you try to renew the IP address? ipconfig/ release ipconfig/ renew ipconfig/ flushdns?

Can you ping Yahoo!

Have you reset the router/modem?

How do you know for the that hardware works?

Osiris, thank you for your reply, my reponses:

Do you see it listed in the Device Manager? NO

Is it disabled in Windows? NOT SURE, HOW WOULD I CHECK THIS?

Is it disabled in the BIOS? NO, JUST SAYS 'NETWORK DEVICE ENABLED"

If you open the network connection, does it show that the NIC is sending and receiving? NO, DOESNT EVEN SEE IT.

Did you try to repair the connection? YES, JUST SAYS TO TURN ON THE WIRELESS SWITCH, DOESNT EVEN SEE A LAN

Did you try to renew the IP address? ipconfig/ release ipconfig/ renew ipconfig/ flushdns? YES, BUT SAYS THAT NO ACTION CAN BE PERFORMED WHEN THE WIRELESS DEVICE IS DISCONNECTED.

Can you ping Yahoo! NO, CANT GET AN INTERNET CONNECTION

Have you reset the router/modem? YES.

How do you know for the that hardware works? HAVE TRIED THE LAN CABLE ON DIFFERENT COMPUTERS AND WORKS AND WHEN I REINSTALL THE OS IT WILL WORK

Well shoot, I've seen this on my IBM's at work. We use T400's. Theres a wireless switch on the front side of the case that goes from left to right. They seem to switch it over when they carry it without noticing.

See if yours is the same way.

Wireless works, switch is on, I'm talking about the cat 5/LAN cable that I sometimes need to plug into the machine while traveling...that port does not work at all.

Have you tried the same laptop using another LAN line from another router, termial, hub, etc? And does it work or not?

I have not, dont really have one readily accessible. It worked fine for about 1 wk after I reinstalled the OS. I've switch out every cable w/ every port in the back of the router...all work w/ my other computers, just not w/ this one.

Did you notice any Windows updates that pertained to the NIC? I know that when I'm doing updates on my new laptops that it sometimes picks up updates from IBM as well, sometimes MS likes to use their version of the driver.

Can you look to see which driver its using?

Although...I have noticed that my router losing the signal about every 30 mins for a period of about 5 secs.

Somebody else mentioned this...to rollback some of the updates, but I dont know which one.

Based on the Toshiba webiste, it should be using a realtek driver.

Open Add/Remove Programs

Click Show Updates

Then look down the list for updates pertaining to the NIC

Then once you get to the MS updates, click the updates which expandes it, then click on "Click here for support information" It will then redirect you to the update and what update it is and does, etc.

This is based off of XP so it might be different on Vista but should be somewhere along the lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom